Not today

"I can't believe you're marrying a billionaire," Jenna says as I stand in the bridal shop trying on wedding dresses. 

I glance down at the 12-karat oval solitaire on my finger and say, "Maybe I am. I haven't signed the contract yet."

"Girl," Jenna says and zips up the back of my dress. "You're trying on wedding dresses. The man wants to marry you in a few months. Why haven't you signed it?"

I slump down onto the chair behind me and drop my shoulders. "I'm scared."

Kneeling next to me, Jenna says, "What are you afraid of?"

"I feel like I have no idea what I'm getting myself into."

"How so?" she asks as I step in front of the mirror and look at myself in this off-the-shoulder lace gown that drops low in the back with a long train.

"I just mean that Lex is a billionaire, Jenna. He can buy whatever his heart desires. He can have whatever woman in the world he wants. I'm wondering why he wants me."

Jenna grabs my shoulders and turns me to face her as she says, "Savannah, he wants you because he loves you. Men don't marry women for no reason."

I sigh. "Is this life for me?"

"I think you've been handling it just fine," Jenna says.

Picking up the hem of the dress, I step down from the podium and over to my purse to get my phone. Then I scroll through my messages on Instagram and show Jenna all the threats and hate mail from all the women.

"Look," I say. 

"Oh my, girl

"Oh my, girl. Have you been getting a lot of comments like this?" Jenna says after looking at my Instagram feed.

I show her one more post but just the top comment...

"Have you shown these to Alexander?" Jenna asks

"Yeah."

"What does he say?"

I shrug. "He tells me to get used to it, and that's what I'm afraid of."

"Maybe he's right," she says.

"What?"

I step out of the dress and back into my clothes and she says, "I just mean that he's been rich a lot of his adult life so far, and I'm sure he is used to crazy people offering up comments that he doesn't need or want, right?"

I nod.

"Well, remember when you freaked out because the contract told you no social media?"

I nod again.

"I'm just saying that maybe this is why. Alexander doesn't have social media, so maybe you shouldn't either."

I stay quiet as we walk back out into the main lobby of the store and the sales lady says, "Well? Were any of them to your liking?" 

I know she's trying hard to sell me a dress knowing that I have an unlimited budget, but I'm just not ready to commit to one yet, so I say, "Sorry. Not today."

The look of defeat on her face is pathetic as Jenna and I walk out to my car. As we get in and I buckle and I start the ignition, she says, "Look, girl. I'm not trying to side with him or anything. I'm not even trying to tell you to do anything you don't want to do. I just know you love this guy and I know you want to make things work. So, maybe you need to listen to the people who have been around him the longest. Maybe the contract has something worth listening to."

As I drive toward the next store to find the dress I'm going to wear for my engagement party tomorrow night, Alexander texts.

"What's he have to say?" Jenna asks.

"He wants me to buy a dress."

"Well?"

I toss my phone down and pull out onto the highway. "Not today."