He's complicated

"I thought you were going shopping with my sister," Alexander says as he's tying his tie.

"I am, but I have that audition this morning. Hey, thanks for setting that up for me," I say. 

"Sure, no problem," he says and fastens his watch around his wrist and spritzes a few sprays of cologne on. "Travis is an old friend of my family's."

"Well, theater is my dream, so even a small part would be amazing," I say.

"When is the performance at your theater? I know it's soon and I'd like to be there."

"We have three shows coming up. Friday evening, Saturday matinee, and Saturday evening."

"I'll be there for all of them," he says and kisses my cheek. 

I smile and say, "That isn't necessary."

"I want to be."

As I'm putting in my earrings, I say, "Will you be at your office when I get done shopping with Jocelyn?"

"Are you riding with her?" he asks.

"She's picking me up. Oh, that reminds me," I say and turn to face him where he's tying his shoes. "Can you drop me off at my audition?"

"Where's your car?" he asks.

"I have it, but I'd feel better if you took me."

"Why?" he says now glancing up at me.

"A week ago or so when I was at Target, a man approached me..."

"A man? What did he look like? What did he say?"

"He had pale eyes with light hair that was longer and combed straight back. He threatened you and said for you to watch your step, and I saw him the other day too when I was picking up my birth control pill from the pharmacy."

"What do you mean you saw him again? Like on accident or do you think he's following you?"

I shrug. "I don't know. He just makes me uncomfortable."

"C'mon," he says and takes his coat from the back of the bedroom door. "I'll drop you off."

"I'm sorry," I say.

He stops walking and turns around. "Don't be sorry. I'm not angry at you. I want to know who this dick is."

"Oh. I always feel like you're angry with me."

He walks toward the doors and says, "We've been dating a month, right?"

"Yeah."

"Never in that month have I been angry at you. I'm just an asshole."

I laugh. "Yeah. I guess."

We go to the garage and get in the car he drives, and he takes me to the big theater across town where I'm auditioning for a real musical, not the small ones I usually do. 

"Hey," he says when I reach for the door to get out. 

"Yeah?" 

"Good luck. You're gonna be great."

"I hope so.

I open the door and get out and he rolls down the window.

"Make sure your location is turned on and I can see it," he says.

I nod. "It is."

"Jocelyn is picking you up from here?"

"Yeah. We're gonna eat and go shopping," I say.

I wave as he rolls up the window. I turn to go inside as he pulls into traffic. 

***

"Thanks for the opportunity," I say and shake the director's hand.

"Savannah, you're a natural. I mean that. I'm looking forward to starting this production."

Feeling elated, I walk out of the theater and dial Alexander.

"Savannah? Are you okay?" he answers.

"Lex? Guess what!"

"What?"

"I got the part!"

Though I can't see him I can almost hear him smile and he says, "I didn't doubt you for a second. Congratulations. Dinner later?"

"Italian?"

"Of course. Is my sister there to get you yet?"

"I texted her but I don't see her," I say.

But as soon as I say that, Jocelyn pulls up. "She's here now. Gotta go. I'll have her drop me off for dinner later. Love you."

"I'll see you for dinner. Tell Jocelyn I said to look after you."

"I will."

He never tells me he loves me, but I'm okay with it. I know he's a complicated guy and I know how I feel. I think deep down he loves me. His actions show it. I just don't think he's good with his words.