Chapter 63 - Wedding Jitters

Cain paced back and forth, wringing his hands as he contemplated running away. Just on the other side of the curtains was a hall full of guests and the new noble class he'd helped hand-pick for Maddox's reign.

The villain had taken over the empire over one year ago, and with Cain's help, had managed to win over just about every citizen with little to no resistance. Even the neighboring kingdoms wanted to congratulate the new Emperor. Although every once in a while they'd encounter a town that had been down on their luck for the majority of the war, and Cain would have to make his appearance to help reason with them about why it's a good thing that Maddox was in charge and not himself.

Now here he was, wearing a white suit with silver trim, waiting for the wedding to start. But for the past twelve months, he'd been so busy that he hadn't thought to talk things over with Maddox about his previous life. Should he postpone?

Peeking out from behind the curtains he noticed his daughters were sitting in the front row, excitedly waiting for the ceremony to begin. They each got coronated and were recognized as proper princesses months ago. There were plenty of rumors spreading around about how Maddox must have sired them before his ascension to the throne, but no one could contest him nor argue their legitimacy since Maddox himself was a new ruler. His blood didn't matter as much since he was not an old noble. Plus, so long as he had plentiful heirs, it didn't matter who he married anymore.

The girls had immediately begun receiving invitations from potential suitors. Each time they received one, Maddox would inform Cain who would then consult each of them on whether or not they'd like to proceed with a political marriage or would rather pick their own husbands. 

Out of the seven princesses, only two of them agreed to an engagement. Though they were too young to get married for a few more years, Cain made sure they were set up to meet their suiters often enough so that by the time their own marriage was arranged, they'd know whether or not they'd actually want to go through with it.

 As for his own wedding, the temple they'd chosen was newly built, and pristine white with wildflowers growing along the outer gardens, courtesy of the dryad of the Forest of Death.

Unfortunately, the dryad was unwilling to leave his forest, but Catalina was more than willing to help prepare everything. She'd just finished tidying up Cain's suit and was sitting on a bench in her human form, watching Cain grow cold feet.

"I swear, if you invited me to prepare all of this just so you can run away in the end, I'll ensure it's the last thing you ever do." She threatened. Her fingers strummed along her arms as she sat in a green and grey floor-length evening gown.

"I need to talk to him first," Cain admitted. "I didn't think this through when I agreed."

"You've had a whole year."

"I've been busy."

"And you're only second-guessing this now?"

Can shook his head. "No, I've been second-guessing this for months."

"Okay, I think I get it. Give me a minute and don't you dare go anywhere." She got up and left Cain in the room by himself, where he continued to pace until Maddox arrived.

The villain was wearing a matching white and silver suit, but being the Emperor, he also had on a crown and sash. Cain himself had a silver vest with plenty of adornments to signify his status.

"The demon said you're thinking of canceling." Maddox got straight to the point, looking displeased at the idea.

Cain sighed deeply, wishing she hadn't been so blunt. "I feel like I jumped into this too soon."