Chapter 6 - Speeding Things Up

Trigger Warning! This and the next chapter depicts the main character seducing a much older man. This may be uncomfy for folks who don't like age gaps. (MC is 19, but technically 24 due to the time traveling. Gideon is twice his age.)

In his past life, Cain relied heavily on Norton in order to acclimate to his new life as a peasant. For quite a while, the two had been inseparable. The man had even taught Cain the ins and outs of thievery and introduced him to his first job as a hired criminal. Had it not been for Norton, then the ex-Marquess would surely have died of starvation. 

They probably would have remained brothers in crime had it not been for one particular high-paying job that insisted they only needed one of them. Cain, it turned out, was the better thief and was chosen for a series of very risky jobs that resulted in him leaving the capital. It was years before he bothered looking into how his old friend was doing, but by that time he'd learned that Norton had been put to death for getting caught in a string of crimes he'd committed. 

Cain was going to make sure that didn't happen again. He owed Norton that much, and so for the next few days, he personally made sure to help wash and dress the thief's wounds.  

News that the arrogant Cain was suddenly treating a poor homeless man spread among the servants. He'd catch them whispering to each other, wondering what could have brought on such a behavioral change.

Elliot meanwhile defended Cain whenever someone suggested he was doing it for less than noble reasons, which was exactly what Cain had hoped for. Furthermore, the servant had recounted the events to Gideon, who became somewhat nicer afterward and would frequently deliver clean bandages so that Cain could continue caring for the broken ruffian.

He knew his parents wouldn't approve of him bringing in such a vagabond, but he'd been taking his meals in his room to avoid the discussion. Luckily his father hadn't ordered the man to be kicked out yet, but it was only a matter of time till the Duke reacted.

When Norton first awoke, he was shocked by his surroundings. It was a spare attic room a few doors down from Cain's, with ceiling-high windows and wall-to-wall bookshelves, but to a common thief, it probably looked like the fanciest room in the world.

Another reason why he attended to the man night and day was to make sure he didn't try to take off with any valuables in the middle of the night.

"Why are you doing this?" Norton asked one day.

The whole left side of his face was bruised, and his crooked nose was clearly broken, despite Cain's efforts to move it back in place. His dark hair was a matted mess, right up until the Marquess ordered the servants to give him a proper haircut.

Norton was smaller than Cain and had an even lankier build. His eyes were dark brown and sparkled whenever he spotted an item he liked. Cain knew he'd take off with as many valuables as he could pocket the first chance he got, so he'd have to re-earn his trust in order to make sure he doesn't throw this opportunity out over a cheap knickknack.

"I couldn't just leave you to be killed, now could I?" He asked while wetting a cloth.

"You want me to do you a favor for this, don't you?" Norton folded his arms and winced, forgetting about his bruised ribs.

"Not at all. You are a commoner, no better than me, so what could I possibly ask from you?" Cain replied coyly.

The ruffian tilted his head, confused. "What do you mean, 'no better than you'? Aren't you Marquess or something?"

Gideon stood behind him, holding the spare bandages. He shifted awkwardly at the man's question.

"My mother was a maid," Cain answered. "I'm a bastard child and even though I am the eldest, my younger brother who is of pure noble blood will most likely succeed the title instead. I'll probably be kicked out of this house soon after."