Chapter 61 - Invading the Palace

Maddox quickly gave orders to the demon hoard, then rushed towards the Emperor's garden where his private wing and room were hidden. After days of spying, the villain had pinpointed this location as where the noble had locked himself away after the refugee's invasion.

Cain permitted Catalina to join in the slaughter, so it was only him and Thistle running to keep up as Maddox eagerly made his way toward his goal, only pausing to kill off the larger groups of guards that tried to hold them at bay.

He noticed that whenever Maddox started fighting, Thistle would stand back and duck out of sight, slithering in the shadows. Cain knew the man wasn't built like a typical warrior, but he never realized that the code breaker preferred not to participate in battle.

"You don't fight?" He leaned over and asked.

The brunette glared back at him from behind a marble pillar as Maddox slashed his sword at a trio of guards ahead. The two had tried to assist at first, but at this point, they realized it'd be best just to stay out of the crazed villain's way.

"I can. But I see no point in risking my life if it's unnecessary. Sabre Maddox can hold his own against these guards and my skills lie elsewhere."

Cain nodded, then returned his attention to the bloodbath that Maddox was causing. Only returning his attention when Thistle continued the conversation.

"Did you start all those fires?"

A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth as Cain felt oddly proud that the man took interest in something he'd done for once. "The same person who set the towns on fire is the same man who set the ballroom on fire. So let's leave it at that."

A moment of silence, and then Cain realized he had a few more questions. "By the way, did you two ever get in contact with the Chalot Queen? Or figured out what the Emperor was planning?"

"I was sent here on the Queen's behalf after we were informed that Maddox had been 'captured'. She wanted me to confirm it directly while she worked on negotiations. We did learn that he was in the Forest of Death, and so she proceeded with peace talks. But then we learned they planned to assassinate her. I was in the middle of collecting more details about it when I came across Maddox and plans changed."

"I imagine she'll be shocked when she shows up at the next peace talk only to find Maddox on the throne."

"Not too surprised." Thistle rebuffed, noticing that Maddox had finally killed his most recent group of guards and was continuing onward. The two started trudging after him.

Cain tossed a questioning look at the brunet.

"I sent word back to her once I reunited with Maddox. She knows he's trying to kill the Emperor before the assassination happens."

"Oh drat. I was hoping for a surprise."

"What are you two chatting about so calmly while I'm up here painting the walls?" Maddox turned on them and tilted his head.

Cain and Thistle stopped. "I was just catching him up on what's been happening."

"Really? That's unlike you Thistle. You're usually more secretive."

"I figured he's a special case at this point." The man eyed Cain.

"Indeed. But do me a favor and take care of the guards that are coming up from the rear. I don't need the distraction once we reach the gardens."

"Of course."

They made their way down the remaining halls and exited into the hedge garden, where the bushes were trimmed into elaborate animals rearing or prancing about. One particularly large row of bushes was shaped into an enormous dragon, with flowers spewing from its mouth. It was rather impressive, and nothing less than what should be expected in the Emperor's gardens.