Chapter 51 - Partnership

Everything had gone according to plan, and Cain could not be happier. Well, he would have been if there hadn't been so much damage done to New Ashbury.

Yes, the totem he'd given to the dryad prevented the fires from spreading, but it didn't stop the guards from breaking windows or smashing in doors. Luckily very few people had gotten hurt before the emperor's men evacuated. It was odd to think that Cain's new domain was practically its own kingdom now. 

His mind was already thinking of the future when a sword was suddenly dropped at his feet as the dryad took form. The other servants were already returning to the mansion while he had stayed back to make sure none of the knights got any stupid ideas of sticking around. 

Cain recognized Maddox's weapon immediately and tossed a shocked glance at the being.

"I do not believe your guests should be trusted with their weapons, given the current circumstances." The dryad stated matter-of-factly.

Cain knew that Maddox would not be happy if he kept the weapon from him. He'd have to come up with a solution that would make both of them happy if he were to keep the villain on his side.

"Hide it for now. If Maddox leaves, then grant it to him only after he's left the forest boundary." He ordered. The dryad nodded, picking the sword back up and fading into the shrubbery.

Returning to the mansion, he gave the good news and the servant staff cheered. He didn't want to ruin their good mood with the impending drawbacks that would come from defying the Empire, so for now he decided to winde down with a proper bath and change of clothes.

"Doren will provide you with a room." He told Maddox, who met up with Cain at the foot of the main stairwell. "I'll give you a proper introduction in a bit. For now, there's a lot of work left to do."

"I understand." Maddox complied as the butler gestured for the villain to follow. Cain was relieved that the man wasn't throwing a fit over getting his weapon confiscated and hurried to get himself cleaned up.

That night, the servants seemed extra excited after their recent victory. After years of planned sabotage, they had finally seen the fruit of their labor. Not many could boast that they had single-handedly held off an entire army with only a dozen servants and some homemade bombes, but Cain knew that the majority of their victory was thanks to the dryad.

He had authorized for them to host their party and set out one of the dining rooms with a fine meal for the whole house to partake in. Serena made sparklers for the younger girls to light and play with, while Norton made sure they didn't set themselves on fire. Maddox, meanwhile sat at the far end of the table, with plenty of glances cast his way as the members of the household wondered about their new guest.

Now is as good a time as ever, Cain decided, and stood, taping his chalice with a fork to grab everyone's attention.

"Good evening everyone. I'm sure you're all most pleased to know that our humble lands have proven formidable against his Majesty the Emperor-" A cheer interrupted him mid-sentence, and he waited for them to quiet down again before continuing. "However keep in mind that after tonight, there will be more work to be done. I will not go into details on it right now because I want you all to enjoy this victory, so be proud of yourselves and drink to your heart's content!"

Another cheer, followed by a low chant of 'Lord Brooks! Lord Brooks'. This had Cain blushing awkwardly, but he tried to cover it with a cough and gestured towards Maddox. There was a hushed whisper once they realized they were finally going to learn who the interloper was.

"I would also like to introduce my guest, Lord Sabre Maddox. He is...Was my business partner and was also working with me on many of our side projects. Like me, he is also wanted by the Emperor, so I invited him here for the time being. Please treat him as an honored guest."