36

The birds chirped as the sun did its best to get a glimpse of Xhenia's sleeping face through her barely open drapes.

A yawn escaped her lips and she rubbed her eyes before opening them. Her eyes looked toward the empty spot on her bed and she sighed.

"And she's gone again."

Time had flown and the two had gotten closer than before. So close that Alekses had asked Xhenia to meet her mother. Of course, Xhenia agreed since she was curious about the woman who helped raise the love of her life, but she didn't think Alekses meant two days after she asked.

Xhenia buried her face into her pillow and groaned. She was not ready to get up, but she knew she had to.

Rolling over, Xhenia clutched to cover to her naked body and stood. She limped to her window and closed the curtains before dropping the cover and walking into the bathroom.

She walked past the mirror and turned the shower on. She was sure she looked like she was attacked by a rabid animal. While the water ran, she relived herself and thought about what to make herself for breakfast.

Xhenia began brushing her teeth with her eyes closed after washing her hands. Just as she started to hum to herself, arms wrapped around her waist and a head nuzzled her neck.

"You're finally awake," Alekses muttered. Her voice was raspier than usual.

"I thought you left," Xhenia admitted after spitting the substance from her mouth.

"It's the weekend. Let me enjoy your company."

"Then where were you last weekend?"

Alekses raised her and looked into Xhenia's eyes through the mirror.

"I...was at an orphanage," she reluctantly answered.

She hadn't told Xhenia about her weekly visits to Mikey at the orphanage, but she wanted Xhenia to be more involved in her life so she told her.

"An orphanage? Never mind, I won't question why you were there, but did you enjoy yourself," Xhenia asked after unraveling herself from Alekses' grasp. "Would you like to get in with me?"

The question hadn't left Xhenia's lips long. Alekses had stripped naked and was in the shower behind Xhenia.

Xhenia laughed and stood on her tiptoes to ruffle Alekses' hair. Alekses bent over a bit so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Xhenia.

"I'm not that short."

"You said it, not me," Alekses chuckled, wrapping her arms around Xhenia, once again. "And yes, I enjoyed myself. You should've seen the boy's eyes light up when I gave him a stuffed bear. Sadly, I wasn't able to see him this week, but I'll make it up to him next week."

"Is this the same boy that reminds you of me?"

"It is."

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'd understand," Xhenia reassured the teddy-like woman behind her. "As long as he gets to see you is probably what he looks forward to the most instead of your gifts."

"Hmm, you're right," Alekses replied. She kissed Xhenia's head and gripped her hips. "Come on, we've got to hurry before the food gets cold."

"Alekses, I thought you said we had to hurry before the food got cold," Xhenia practically croaked while she hobbled into the kitchen. Her limp was worse than it was when she woke up.

"I did," Alekses gleamed toward Xhenia. "I had to eat before you got cold."

Xhenia groaned and dropped her head onto the counter while Alekses laughed at her misery.