33

"Thank you for breakfast, Xhenia. It was delicious."

"Don't give me all the credit. You did most of the work," Xhenia huffed. She turned from Alekses and more towards the window to watch other cars.

They were on their way to the mall for a day out. Alekses's idea. Xhenia would have preferred to be in bed.

Alekses chuckled and gave Xhenia's knee a soft pat. "You still played an important role though."

"Which was?"

"An extremely cute woman in an apron. I was highly motivated."

Xhenia turned and looked at Alekses with the most unamused expression before rolling her eyes and looking back out the window. Her reaction only caused Alekses to laugh more.

She gave Xhenia's knee another pat and slightly rubbed her thigh before pulling away from her altogether. She seemed unbothered by her actions as if doing that was normal, but the roughness of Alekses' hand left Xhenia speechless and a bit flustered.

Xhenia remained quiet until they got to their destination. She looked at Alekses then back at the building.

"Why are we here again?"

"Because," Alekses answered as she grabbed her shades and put them on. She grabbed an identical pair and gently pushed them onto Xhenia's face, mumbling about the sun being bright.

"Because isn't an answer," Xhenia mumbled when Alekses got out. Alekses opened Xhenia's door and held out her hand with a mischievous grin. When Xhenia grabbed her hand, Alekses pulled her close and leaned down to where their noses touched.

"What was that, little mouse?"

"W-what was what?"

"What did you say when I got? Was it something about because not being an answer?"

Xhenia flushed and looked away in embarrassment to escape Alekses' teasing eyes, but she didn't expect to catch the eyes of her other old boss's amused hazel ones.

Immediately she pushed away from Alekses when she noticed Ona was getting closer.

"Giving the people a show, hm," Ona teased when she was in earshot.

"Ms. Kotov," Xhenia bowed her slightly to the woman.

"What? You call her name but not mine," Ona faked a pout. She then reached her arms out and pulled Xhenia into a warm embrace. "I've missed you, little one."

Xhenia was tense at first, but the familiar warmth Ona always surrounded her with immediately calmed her. She didn't want to admit it, but she missed Ona too. She missed how Ona would look out for her, encourage her, ensure she was okay, etc. To Xhenia, Ona was a big sister she never knew she needed.

Wrapping her arms around Ona, Xhenia tightly returned the hug while a few tears escaped her eyes.

"I missed you too, Ona," she whimpered in the woman's chest. Ona looked up in panic at her cousin who, in turn, glared at her. She wasn't going to interfere in their moment no matter how bad she wanted to.

"Fuck you," Ona mouthed to Alekses for not helping. She pulled Xhenia's head back and wiped her tears. "It's okay, little one. There's no need to cry. Do you want to tell me what's led to your tears?"

Her voice was soft and caring, which made Xhenia cry more.

Xhenia sniffled and nodded. She wanted to tell her everything. "But not here."

"Okay, okay, so please stop crying. Alekses looks like she'll have my head any moment if you don't."

Xhenia swiftly turned around and caught Alekses' glare before she could hide it.

"Alekses," was all Xhenia had to say. Alekses fixed her facial expression and apologized to Ona.

"Can we go inside now before Amie bombs my phone," Ona chuckled and grabbed Xhenia's hand. "Come on, little one."

The two started walking towards the entrance, leaving Alekses where she stood. She rolled her eyes and started following them while mumbling under her breath, but Xhenia stopped and turned towards her.

She held out her hand, closed it twice, and waited. Alekses looked at Xhenia. Her grey eyes resembled an incomplete puzzle. Why was she holding her hand out? Was she walking too slow?

Ona looked at her cousin and shook her head.

Why are you such an idiot?

"Little one, how about I got ahead and meet with Amie? I'll wait for you two there, yeah," Ona said as she let go of Xhenia's hand.

Xhenia looked up at Ona with a bright smile. "Okay, see you on the inside."

Ona looked at her cousin and glared. "You better not fuck this up," she mouthed and walked away after waving Xhenia off.

"Are you alright," Xhenia asked Alekses. Alekses looked into her worry-filled eyes and nodded. She didn't want Xhenia worrying over her jealousy.

"Yep," Alekses said. She grabbed Xhenia's hand and walked towards the entrance that wasn't far. Xhenia studied Alekses's face and noticed her jaw ticking. It reminded her of how Alekses reacted to her talking to that one guy everyone liked at the office.

What was his name again? Doesn't matter.

"Alekses," Xhenia softly hummed the woman's name as they entered the mall.

"Yes?"

Before she walked ahead of Alekses and turned around so she could see her face.

"Are you jealous?"

The smirk on her face let Alekses know she wouldn't get away with a lie if she tried.

"So what,  I am? Is there a problem with my jealousy," Alekses asked with a grin. She wrapped her arms around Xhenia's waist and pulled her to the side and out of other's path. 

"Alekses, we're in public."

She pinched at Xhenia's side and sighed. "Truly a shame."

Xhenia was going to respond, but then she heard her name being yelled throughout the mall.

Because she heard her talk for an entire day, Xhenia immediately recognized this voice. Plus, Ona did say she was going to meet up with her. Excitement filled Xhenia's body, and she pushed away from Alekses in time to catch the flying woman.

"Amie, hi. How have you been?"

"Me?! How have you been? Where have you been," Amie asked while Xhenia's cheeks. She loosely wrapped her arms around Xhenia's neck and held onto her as if she would disappear again. "One day you were there, but then you weren't. I asked Ona and Alekses what happened to you, but the thing would always say you quit."

"I am not a thing," Ona said while pulling Amie off. "Did you forget we're in public?"

Alekses looked away in guilt. She had just realized the impact her actions had caused others around Xhenia, too.

Amie glared at Ona, but she still got off of Xhenia and apologized. "So, what are you here to get?"

"Nothing in particular," Xhenia shrugged. "What about you?"

"A new pair of handcuffs," Amie shrugged like it was no biggie. "That bitch broke my last pair last night."

"Amie!"

I am so sorry for this thrown-together chapter, but I had to do something before midnight. It was either this or make this sweat for no reason. \( ̄︶ ̄*\))

It's hard to not make them sweat for no reason.