17

When morning came, Xhenia groggily sat up in bed. Last night had felt like a weird dream, but her body said otherwise. She still felt the slight buzz from last night.

Did I really let her do that to me?

Thoughts of what happened rushed to her mind, and she hid behind her hands, blushing.

I can't believe I asked to kiss her.

She looked over at Paws' bed and saw it was empty, so she left her bed and walked to the bathroom. She didn't worry too much since she knew who had him. They were almost inseparable now.

Xhenia handled her business, jumping slightly when she had to clean herself after. She didn't expect to still be sensitive, but she was. Flushing the toilet, she washed her hands, brushed her teeth, and washed her face.

She stared into the mirror and picked up a curl, mumbling about what she should do with her hair.

"Maybe I'll let Alekses handle it," she mumbled to herself.

She walked out of the bathroom and saw Alekses placing a tray of food on the now made-up bed. Alekses had made up the bed while she was in the bathroom.

"I see you're finally done," Alekses acknowledged Xhenia's presence without looking at her.

"Did I take too long? Where's Paws?"

"No, you didn't, and he's in my room," Alekses turned toward the woman and said. "I have some things I'd like to discuss with you before I go."

"Go? Where are you going," Xhenia frantically asked. She didn't know why, but she didn't want Alekses to leave her. "Are you leaving me alone?"

Alekses noticed the slight panic in her voice and walked to her, gently gripping her head.

"It'll only be for a couple of hours," she mumbled, kissing the woman's head. Just like before, she was very reluctant to leave the woman alone as well.

Xhenia didn't know this wasn't, but Alekses only told her for a reason.

Maybe I shouldn't have told her, but I need to know what she'll do on her own here.

Xhenia pulled away from Alekses' hand and sadly looked up at her. "Alekses, please don't go."

"That's not up for debate," Alekses walked away from the woman as she spoke, but Xhenia quickly grabbed ahold of her hand.

"Alekses, please," she begged, hoping she could get through to Alekses. "Don't leave me here alone."

Alekses sighed and gently pulled away her hand. She didn't think Xhenia had grown attached to her this much already. If she could, she would stay, but she can't hide from her mother forever. They always met up at least once a week, but since bringing Xhenia home, she always put it off with the excuse of being too busy.

"Xhenia, I won't be gone long," she sighed, rubbing her temples. "How about this? While I'm away, you can roam the house as far and as much as you'd like, except for the locked room or going outside."

Xhenia shook her head, her eyes shedding tears, and grabbed Alekses' hand again. She didn't want to be left alone in a place she was unfamiliar with. She barely wanted to be left alone in her own apartment before she got used to it. Alekses knew this, but she still couldn't stay.

"I don't want to. I want you to stay."

Alekses could feel the woman shaking while gripping her hand. She really doesn't want me to go, huh?

Alekses sighed again. "Xhenia," she started but was rudely interrupted.

"No, I don't want you to leave," the woman shouted and stomped her foot at Alekses, then her eyes widened. "Wait, I'm sorry."