21

Another Day in Alekses' Life

"Mother, do I look like a trans woman?"

As promised, the two had met at the town's orphanage to meet the children. Alekses was ready to meet the children, but what Xhenia had said earlier had been on Alekses' mind ever since.

"Huh? Where is that question coming from," her mother suspiciously looked at her. "If anything, you're very feminine for your style. Plus, it's obvious your breasts aren't implants. They make me jealous."

Vera looked at her breasts, then her daughter's breasts, and sighed. They're so plump. "Have you ever thought about swapping breasts?"

"No, you can stay flat-chested."

"I'm not that flat!"

"Shh, you're going to draw attention."

There was no one around. Alekses just liked messing with her mother.

"I swear, you live just to insult me," Vera pouted.

My father married a weird woman.

When their bickering died down, Vera became visibly nervous. She was planning to break the news to the children today, but for some reason, she had a bad feeling about today's visit.

"You look tense, what's wrong?"

"I have this feeling I can't shake."

They walked up the stairs to the orphanage and opened the door. It was as rowdy as ever. Children ran across the room, playing with each other. The game looked like tag.

"So many vermin," Alekses shuddered while the children ran past her. Alekses looked around with a scowl on her face. Vera smacked her arm and told her to fix her face while looking around.

She had a look of worry on her face.

"There's Janice and Jemmie, but where is Elizabeth," Vera mumbled, still looking around.

"She's crying," Alekses said once she caught sight of the children her mother pointed at. They both had chestnut-colored hair. "You go check on them, and I'll ask about Elizabeth."

Her mother nodded and practically ran over to the children.

Alekses started walking when a person ran into her. It was a little boy with brown hair and eyes. He had this frightened look on his face, and he was covered in bruises.

"Sorry," he muttered and ran away.

His voice is so low.

"Why does he have so many bruises?"

Dismissing the child from her thoughts, Alekses knocked on the door that had "office" on it. The door swung open, and an angry woman stepped out.

"What," she roughly said, but fixed herself after seeing it wasn't who she expected. "Oh, hello, sorry about that. My name is Dreasta. How can I help you?"

"It's alright. I want to inquire about a seventeen-year-old girl named Elizabeth," Alekses skeptically said. At the mention of the girl's name, her face twisted into sadness.

"She's in the infirmary right now," she said.

"What happened?"

"She got into a little altercation to protect her siblings. A strong girl that one is."

"Can we see her while she's in the infirmary?"

"I'm sorry."

"That's alright, thank you," Alekses said and left.