28

Xhenia stretched her body and let out a small yawn. She was surprised she had slept longer than expected. She rubbed her eyes and felt around the bed for Paws and froze.

This wasn't the bed she fell asleep in, nor was it the room she slept in. Instead of the walls being black or blue, they were white. The bed was soft like the beds Alekses had her sleeping in, but it was neither bed she was familiar with.

The floor wasn't made of polished wood. It was made up of carpet. Everything about this room was different.

In a rush, she jumped from the bed. She didn't notice that her feet were tangled in the comforter and fell to the ground with a thud.

"Ow," she groaned. She untangled herself and stood up. She noticed she had actual clothes on instead of Alekses' work shirt.

She looked around the room, hoping to find something familiar, but found nothing. This was a completely new area. Since she had no clue where she was, Xhenia began to hyperventilate.

"Where am I?"

Before she could further panic, she heard a whine-like yawn from under the bed.

"Paws?"

She dropped to her knees and lifted the sheets. Under the bed, Paws stretched and crawled out, nudging his mother's arm. Noticing her tears, Paws licked her face and rolled onto his back. He started whining and then barked at her.

"Okay, okay," she sniffed and wiped her face. She sat on the ground and rubbed Paws' belly, calming herself down. "Thank you."

As if he understood her, Paws barked, almost saying you're welcome.

When Xhenia was a bit calmer, she tiptoed to the door across from the bed and stood at it. She dared not touch the door knob.

"Alekses," she called out in a timid voice. Though she had calmed herself, Xhenia was still weary of her surroundings. She waited a bit after calling Alekses' name but got no response, so she called again.

"Alekses," she called a bit louder.

Paws watched his mother stand at the door and thought she had forgotten how they worked, so he'd have to show her. He stood on his paws and walked in front of her. Standing on his hind legs, he pawed at the knob and then looked at her, hoping she understood, but she shook her head.

"No, Paws. We can't go out there. Alekses didn't say we could," she mumbled, pulling him from the door.

Ignoring her, Paws did the only other thing he could to get her out of the room. He started whining and walking around in a circle with his tail between his legs. His imitation indicated he had to pee and that meant she had to take him outside.

"Crap, you have to use it," Xhenia muttered, fumbling with her fingers. "Um, I don't think I can go out there."

Paws stared at his mother and shook his head. It was a good thing this door had a doggie door in case he actually needed to. Huffing, Paws walked through the door and scratched on the outside of it.

Xhenia slowly raised her hand towards the knob, shaking the closer she got to touching it. She wanted to leave the room and let Paws outside, but there was this nagging fear keeping her grounded.

Yes, Alekses had let her roam free at the other place, but each area comes with different rules. She didn't know the rules for her yet.

Shaking her head, she backed away from the door and ran back to the bed, hiding under the cover. It seemed like her biggest fear was happening again. She was being abandoned again.

"Alekses," she called out again, but no one could hear her broken whisper. "Where are you?"

Alekses stood from the couch in her room, setting down a pile of papers, and walked out into the supposedly quiet hallway, but she heard the sound of scratching at a door.