29

Xhenia sat in the car, watching the scenery pass while Alekses drove to her new residence. Sadly, the week had come and gone too fast for the both of them, but this was for the best.

Alekses looked in the mirror to see Paws' tail wagging while he stuck his head out of the window.

"Someone's excited," she cleared her throat. This was her attempt to start a conversation with the quiet woman.

"He's outside. When is he not," Xhenia chuckled. She let her window down and stuck her hand out, touching his nose.

"Are you...excited?"

Xhenia's smile widened as she brought her arm back into the car. She turned towards Alekses and nodded. "I am. I really am. Thank you again, Alekses."

Alekses kept her eyes on the road and hummed in response. She remained silent for the remainder of the ride, letting Xhenia enjoy her surroundings without interruptions.

Xhenia was amazed by the building Alekses had pulled into. It was taller and wider than her old apartment complex. She stared at the building until she could no longer see it since Alekses had pulled into the underground parking.

Alekses patted Xhenia's knee twice and held up her finger when she got out. She was telling the woman to wait before she got out.

"Wow, it's so big," Xhenia gasped after getting out when Alekses opened her door and turned to her. "Are you sure this is where I should be?"

Alekses shook her head and opened the back door for Paws. She put a collar and leash on him before he could get out. It had been a while since Paws had been on a leash, and he'd never owned a collar before, either.

Xhenia watched Alekses put the collar and leash on Paws and looked away before Alekses could catch her.

"No, little mouse. You should be home with me, but we've got to start somewhere," she locked the doors and beckoned Xhenia to follow her. "This is only one of many of your choices."

Xhenia stood shocked for a minute while a blush slowly crept up her cheeks.

What does she mean by that?

"Xhenia."

"Sorry, coming," she mumbled, pulling from her daze.

She ran to catch up with Alekses' long strides and grabbed the woman's hand.

"What do you mean one of many?"

"I mean just that."

"Which floor are we going to," Xhenia asked as they neared the elevator. She tried to play off the fact that she had stopped walking with a question.  Alekses gave her hand a tug while still answering her question.

"Top floor."

"That's so high up."

"Mhm."

Alekses inserted a key where the usual call button was for the elevator and looked down at Xhenia.

"Don't be afraid, I'll hold your hand the whole way up," Alekses whispered in Xhenia's ear, squeezing the woman's hand for assurance.

Xhenia smiled and squeezed Alekses' hand back.

"Okay."

When the doors opened, Alekses entered a code after they were all inside, prompting them to shut.

"What was that?"

"The key and code to get to your apartment," Alekses simply answered, but Xhenia was still confused.