4

"Another day at work," Xhenia sighed as she plopped into her chair.

She was halfway through her shift and was on her lunch break. Surprisingly, she didn't have much to do today. Neither Alekses nor Ona requested much of her today. Whenever she asked if there was anything else to do, they told her there was nothing else, so she spent most of her shift lallygagging.

The thought to ask if her colleagues needed help already crossed her mind, but most of them disliked her or were afraid of being released, so she didn't bother asking.

Boredom quickly took over her mind, and she went to check again with her boss if there was anything she could do.

"Come in, Ms. Jon," Ona said before Xhenia could knock. "Well, seems I was right. You're here to ask if there's any more you could do, right?"

"Um...yes, ma'am."

"My apologies, little one, but I still have nothing for you. Try, Ms. Morozov," she sighed. She felt bad knowing she had nothing to give the girl, but this was all according to Alekses' plan, so she must abide by it.

"Yes, ma'am, I will," Xhenia said, then left the office.

She walked to Alekses' office, humming as she went.

Lately, she had been getting along with Alekses and wasn't as scared anymore. Alekses would indulge in meaningless small talk with her, give her candy here and there, and would even take her home when Amy couldn't, which had been happening a lot recently.

Before this had happened, Xhenia thought she was scary and out to get, but now that's just crazy talk. What would Alekses want with plain old her?

When she got to Alekses' door, she stopped and waited a while before she knocked. After her knock, the door flung open, and an upset man walked out, bumping her and stepping on her foot in the process.

"Get out of the way," he mumbled, walking away.

"Sorry."

Xhenia wanted to cry from the pain, but she didn't want to seem like a crybaby, so she held it in and walked into the office. She was shocked to see the office in such a disarray.

There were file papers scattered across the floor. The pillows that were once on the couch were now on the floor. Even some of her books were on the floor. Did he do this?

"Did I say you could come in," Alekses growled, holding her head. She hadn't looked up to see who had knocked on her door, yet. She was too concerned with the headache that ass of a man just gave her.

"No, ma'am, you didn't," Xhenia mumbled. She was already feeling small from earlier, and Alekses wasn't helping the situation. "I'm sorry."

Alekses looked up after hearing Xhenia's voice, and her expression softened. "My apologies, Ms. Jon, I didn't notice it was you," she quickly apologized.

"That's okay. What happened here?"

"A tantrum."

"Do you need some help cleaning," Xhenia chuckled a bit. She found it funny she was right about the man having a tantrum.

"If you don't mind, Ms. Jon."

"I don't," Xhenia hummed and picked up the paper close to her. She went to grab another paper but hissed when she took a step. Did he hurt something when he stepped on my foot?

Alekses noticed the limp in Xhenia's walk and became concerned and angered. "Ms. Jon, are you hurt?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. I just stubbed my toe on the way here," she effortlessly lied, but Alekses knew better.