27

"Alekses, baby, what happened to your face," Vera asked an absentminded Alekses.

For the rest of the week, Xhenia and Ona's words were heavy on Alekses' mind. They played like broken records on a broken turntable. To make matters worse, Alekses had decided to view the camera in Xhenia's room that night only to hear her crying her little heart out to Paws.

"Ona punched me," she honestly replied.

Vera gasped and grabbed Alekses' face to see the fading bruise better.

"Why would she do that?"

"Because I did something stupid."

"Oh, I'm sure it wasn't that bad," Vera touched the bruise, waiting for Alekses' response. "Well, I'm not getting any younger."

"Where are the kids," Alekses asked, trying to change the subject, but Vera wasn't going to let her.

"School, now spill."

"Ma."

"Alekses, I will slice two of your tires and stick nails in a third one to keep you here until you tell me."

Alekses briefly looked at Vera in shock before she huffed. Those tires are expensive.

"There's this woman that I am very fond of," Alekses started. She didn't want to give too much away on what her cousin and she had done, so she'd have to keep it simple. "I had been seeing her for a while, and one day, she said she loved me. Ona was happy for me, but I had been avoiding her since she said it. When Ona figured out, she punched me."

Vera stared at her daughter and nodded.

"She did right," Vera nodded and sat back in her chair. "Do you at least feel the same about her?"

A smile graced Alekses' face as every thought of Xhenia crossed her mind. "I do, but it's complicated."

"Nothing is ever complicated, Alekses. That's just an excuse we tell ourselves when things get rough," Vera took a sip of her tea. "Love is rough. It always has been, but you need more than yourself to get through it. You need her, too."

"But how do I know she actually meant it?"

"Everyone has different ways to portray their love, Alekses. That's how you know if they mean it," Vera hummed. "Take Ona and Aime, for example. They bicker and fight all day long, but once it's time to settle down, they're holding each other's hands under the dining room table, staring at each other when the other isn't looking. To be frank, their love language is too toxic for me, but if it works, it works."

Alekses chuckled and nodded. They were a toxic pair from the day they met in middle school. Ona was in eighth grade, while Aime was in sixth. No one knows what happened between the two, but the next thing anyone knew, they both got suspended for fighting.

"What about you and Dad," Alekses asked once the memories dispersed. "What was your love like?"

Alekses never knew how she and her father met. Vera just popped up one day and has been here ever since.

Vera sadly smiled at the memories of her late husband.

"I like baking for your dad. He liked to teach me things," she told Alekses. "He was the one to teach me how to horseback ride."

She stifled a laugh and picked up her tea cup.

"You'll never guess why he taught me."

"Do I want to know?"

"No."

Alekses cringed and pushed the subject away. "Well, that's enough of that."

Vera laughed at her daughter before she got serious.

"Alekses, one of the best ways to know if someone truly loves you is to let them go. If they truly love you, they'll come back. If you truly love her, you'll let her go. Just don't distance yourself. If you do, you won't get the results you're hoping for."

"Are you sure?"

"Is anyone ever?"

Alekses looked into the distance as her mother's words blended in with Ona's words. They both had the same advice for her. Let Xhenia go. Now, the last choice was up to her.

Should she keep Xhenia and continue questioning her love, or should she let the woman go and know her answer?

In the distance, she noticed a bee flying over multiple flowers before landing on the one it chose to land on. She thought of herself as that flower and Xhenia the bee.

Would she fly over me?

Soon after, Alekses left her mother's house and went to hers. The house seemed gloomier than usual. After locking the door, she took her shoes and coat and went to her room. She saw a small figure under her comforter and Paws laying beside lying beside the figure.

"Xhenia," she whispered in disbelief, not wanting to wake her. Just like Alekses had before, Xhenia was avoiding Alekses. Though she couldn't go anywhere, she somehow made it possible for Alekses not to see her.

She placed her things on the dresser and tiptoed to her bed. She pulled back her comforter, and sure enough, Xhenia was in her bed. It was evident that Xhenia had been crying.

"My little mouse," she mumbled, stroking Xhenia's hair. "I'm so sorry for the pain you're going through, my love."

She pulled her hand away, but Xhenia grabbed it and kept it in place. She mumbled incoherent words in her sleep, but Alekses seemed to make out, "Please don't go."

Alekses dropped to her knees and kissed the inside of the woman's hand.

"If I give you your freedom, will you come back to me," she asked no one in general. It just seems Alekses had finally come to a conclusion. Alekses loved this woman, so she'd let her go. "If you don't come back, live a life you're proud of."

So, if you see Alekses, Ona, or Vera talk in normal font, then italic, they've begun speaking Russian.

Why are women hot?