12

Xhenia's POV

I'm confused.

Why did she take me off the chain? I shouldn't question this, I know, but why? Maybe it's a test to see if I run. Is that what she wants?

I'm not gonna run. I'm gonna put these shorts back on and wait for her to brush my teeth like she does every morning. Walking to the dresser, I grabbed the shorts, put them on, and made up the bed. Afterward, I went to the chair in the corner and sat in it.

I couldn't play with Paws because he followed Alekses when she left. Why did he follow her? When I got bored, I rocked in the chair, but I kept waiting.

When is she coming back? Will she be back? I mean, she left the door. Did she forget? It'll be easy to make a run for it if she did. But where will I go? I don't know where I am or if I still have my apartment.

My thoughts were starting to get the best of me. I stood up and started walking to the door, but my thoughts intruded again.

What if she's right outside waiting? Plus, Paws is with her. How am I gonna get him and run? What if she catches you? What then? I mean, I still don't know what she wants from me.

"I probably should wait a bit longer."

I walked back to the chair and sat down. Patience is a virtue.

When I heard footsteps coming, I pulled my knees to my chest and placed my head in the small space.

"Xhenia, why are you still in here?"

Huh? It wasn't a test?

"Um, you haven't brushed my teeth," I said loud enough for her to hear. I know she hates it when I speak low, so I've been working on that.

"You're gonna brush your teeth and get dressed after you eat this time," Alekses grinned.

Why is she grinning? Was it really a test? Did I pass?

"Okay."

"Come on."

Getting up from the chair, I followed her to the door.

"Are you sure," I asked, stopping at the doorframe. I don't want to step out and get in trouble. I don't know what she's capable of yet.

She searched my face before pushing her hand forward. "Come on, Xhenia."

I looked at her hand and grabbed it. It felt warm and calming. She pulled me out the door and down a hallway into a dining area. "See, no tricks," she hummed as she let go of my hand.

Instinctively, I reached for her hand but came to my senses and pulled my hand back. I felt confused with myself. Why would I want to hold her hand?

On the table sat a bowl of porridge with strawberries and blueberries with a cup of apple juice. A light breakfast this time. Those other breakfasts were surely adding to my weight.

"Eat. I'll be back," Alekses said and disappeared down the hallway. Is it me, or is her hair messier than usual today? I've also never seen her in her pajamas. A plain black and red plaid pants was a typical outfit for bed. I thought she'd wear something extravagant for bed. Quite frankly, she looks relaxed and comfortable.

Did I almost say she looked pretty? What is wrong with me?

I sat at the table and began eating my breakfast. Once again, it was just me in my own company since Paws followed Alekses to wherever.

It didn't take long for me to eat since it was just porridge. After eating, I waited for her to return which didn't take long. She came down dressed in black pants, a black button shirt, and black socks. She must really like black.