18

Alekses' POV

"Are you sure everything is alright," Mother asked me.

"I was just looking at puppy tuxedos, but I could ask you the same," I sat my phone down and said. "Normally, you'd be filling my head with your need for grandchildren."

She didn't question the existence of the said pup since she's already seen Paws.

She nervously chuckled and scratched at her cheek. "I've realized I've been a little crazy about grandchildren lately. It's just been us ever since your father passed, and I've been getting lonely in my cold home," she sighed. "I appreciate your efforts to make sure I'm not, but you don't have that naive light in your eyes anymore. Plus, you've ditched me for three months. I was surprised you came today."

Very reluctantly.

"So you're saying you want to corrupt my children?"

"I'm saying you've grown up. You know how the world works. You know the pain it brings with time," she smiled sadly at her lap, then looked out towards the yard with a longing look. "A pet or a child doesn't. Most are oblivious to the troubles of the world. The ones who aren't have been thrown in foster care or an orphanage until they're eighteen."

I sat quietly and listened to her. It was the best I could do at this moment.

"That's why I want to adopt," she looked at me and said.

"What?"

"I want to adopt a child, Alekses," she said again with hope in her eyes. "I've given up on you. You're going to die single."

I know she said the last part as a joke, but it hurt. Not really, but still.

"I am not going to die single."

"Yes, you are."

"How'd you come to this conclusion," I asked, changing the subject. "Adopting isn't easy."

"There's this little girl that I immediately fell in love with when I saw her," she started, but I interrupted her.

"So you're saying you're a pedophile now?"

"Alekses," she shouted. Her accent was heavy on my name. She started grumbling and pinching the bridge of her nose. I'm sure she was cursing my name to hell and back. "I adore the child in a motherly manner."

"Okay, okay. When did you go to an orphanage," I chuckled at her red face and asked.

"During the second month of my only child neglecting me," she calmly said. I'm sure she was anything but calm. It was my turn to let out a sigh of frustration.

"Mama, I apologized already. I already told you I've been busy."

"Doing what, Alekses," she hissed under her breath. "I've been to your job multiple times, and you weren't there. Even your house has been empty."

"Mama."

"Alekses, have you been avoiding me?"

The sadness in her voice tugged at my limited heartstrings, and I stood up and kneeled before her.

"Mama, I promise. I have been busy," I stretched my words. "I've been working from home and living somewhere else so I could get away from the world."

I can't tell my mother what I've been doing for the last three months. The truth would break her heart, and send her to an early grave.

"Alekses, at least call me."

"I will," I immediately agreed. "Now the child, what's her name?"

I needed to change the subject since she looked as if she were about to cry.

"Her name is Elizabeth. She comes with younger siblings: a brother and a sister. Their names are Janice and Jemmie."

"Are you sure you can handle this?"

"I can."

"How old are they?"

"Elizabeth is 16. She's going to be 17 in two months. Janice and Jemmie are 10."

She started talking about them with the brightest shine in her eyes. It was like these were already hers. It reminded me of the time we first met. I despised her, but she had loved me since she heard about me from my father.

"Have you already started the process for adoption?"

Her face dripped with guilt.

"I have. I'm going to see them tomorrow. Do you want to come," she asked with hope.

"Mama, I ca-," I started to deny but couldn't. I need to see these children before they come to this house. "Sure, what time?"

"Ten in the morning."

"Got it."

"Really?"

"Mhm, send me the address, and I'll meet you there," I stood up and said, dusting myself.

Three siblings in one day. What a hassle.

"Mama, I have to go now," I kissed her cheeks and said after looking at the time. It was way past time for me to get dinner ready, but I was worried about leaving her alone.

"Don't worry about me, Alekses. I'm glad you came to see me," she kissed my forehead. The slight twitches of her hands reminded of how old she was getting.

"How can I not when you're all I have as a parent?"

She didn't reply. Instead, she kissed my head one more time and let me go.

"Don't forget to send me the address, okay?"

"I won't."

"See you later, Mama."

"See you later, Alekses."

I never knew my mother was so lonely, but I'm glad she found a way to fix it.