11

As agreed, Xhenia had eaten all three meals without a fuss each day that had passed since. She was surprisingly well-behaved, too. She hadn't fought with Alekses at all since receiving Paws, and it's been three weeks. It wasn't like they spent a lot of time together, though. Which further makes Xhenia question her presence there.

As she said, Alekses was busy replacing the majority of the department Xhenia was in. Only three kept their jobs, and that was excluding Amie.

Alekses may have been busy, but she made sure Xhenia was well taken care of. To make it possible, she began working from home, leaving only to conduct in-person interviews.

Sighing, Alekses pulled her work glasses off and pinched the bridge of her nose. It was two o'clock in the morning, and she was exhausted. She was excited that tomorrow was a weekend and wanted to do something with Xhenia. Maybe I should let her out of her playroom for the weekend.

Sitting back in her chair, Alekses looked at her third monitor and smiled at Xhenia's sleeping figure clutching one of the bears on her bed. After her bath, Xhenia went straight to sleep. Well, she did go to sleep around 10 pm every night.

When she looked at Paws curled up beside Xhenia, Alekses stood up.

"I should take him out before going to bed," she muttered. She turned off the monitors and locked up her office after turning off the lights.

If Xhenia's room didn't have a night light, Alekses probably wouldn't have been able to spot Paws since he'd blend into the dark, but the room did.

"Come on, buddy," she whispered, grabbing the sleeping pup.

She tried not to disturb Xhenia's sleep, but when she moved Paws, Xhenia woke up and grabbed her shirt.

In a sleepy gaze, she looked at Alekses' arms and saw she had Paws. She quickly sat up and tried to grab Paws, but Alekses gently pushed her back.

"Why are you taking him? I've been good. Please don't take him," Xhenia begged with silent tears. She immediately began racking her brain to see if she did anything wrong. For heaven's sake, she was even letting the woman bathe her.

"You have been a good girl, so don't worry. I'm only taking him out to use the bathroom," Alekses hummed while wiping Xhenia's tears. "Plus, taking him away will never be a punishment."

"Promise?"

"Promise. Are you okay now," Alekses asked, setting Paws back on the bed for reassurance.

"I'm okay," Xhenia yawned. She played with Paws for a moment before looking back at Alekses. "Um, Alekses?"

"Hm?"

"Um, can I go outside too? I promise to behave," Xhenia finally gathered the courage to ask. She was tired of the same four walls and wanted a change of scenery.

Alekses looked down at Xhenia. She had planned to let her out of the room tomorrow, but going outside? That was a bit of a stretch right now.

"Maybe some other time," she said and grabbed Paws.

"Please, I won't do anything line," she tried to bargain, but Alekses had her mind made up.

"I know you won't because you're not going," Alekses gruffed. "Now, don't make me say it again."

Xhenia huffed and plopped down. She turned on her side and uttered, "Why can't I go?"

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Xhenia."

"I said why can't I go, but you won't let me go, so what's the actual point of saying it to you."

"You're testing my patience, Whiskers," Alekses said coldly. "Turn on your stomach and go to sleep."

"Whiskers?" Am I Whiskers?

"Now."

Xhenia said nothing else and quickly turned onto her stomach, closing her eyes. She had a feeling this tone was scarier than her yelling.

"When I return with Paws, you should be asleep," Alekses gruffed one last time and left the room.

Xhenia grabbed her stuffed bear and did her best to fall asleep.

Alekses walked outside and sat Paws on the ground. He immediately took off running around the yard. Who knew the little thing had so much energy in him?

"I'm gonna let him tire himself out. That should give her enough time to go to sleep."

She sat on the patio stairs and watched the pup twirl and run around. She'll be able to come outside one day.

After a while, Paws had used the restroom and tired himself out. He was so tired that he collapsed at Alekses' feet, making her chuckle.

"Come on, buddy."

She picked him up and wiped his paws before going inside. Taking her shoes off, she walked to the playroom and placed him on his bed.

"He needs a bath before he can get back in the bed," she mumbled. "She should understand that."

Looking over at Xhenia, Alekses immediately knew she was asleep. Xhenia had a loose grip on the bear and was tangled in her comforter. Her shirt had rose above her stomach, showing the bottom of her breasts. To make matters worse for Alekses, Xhenia had taken her shorts off.

"I'm guessing she got hot."

Alekses chuckled and went to wash her hands so she could fix Xhenia's situation. She took one last look at the tangled woman and smiled.

"So cute."

She took the chain off Xhenia's ankle and folded the shorts, placing them on the dresser afterward. She left the cuff off and fixed the woman's shirt.

"Now, if I can just get the comforter," Alekses huffed. Xhenia had somehow gotten it tangled all around her.

Alekses fought with the little woman and the comforter and somehow got it untangled. She flapped the comforter over Xhenia and kissed her head.

"Sleep well," she said and left the room.

As soon as Alekses stepped into her bathroom, she stripped off her clothes and took a shower. She got out and dressed herself in boxers and a T-shirt.

"3 hours will be enough," she mumbled and fell asleep.

Three hours had passed by, the sun had risen, and Xhenia was still asleep like always, but not for long. Alekses had been waking her at eight o'clock every day, so when the clock struck eight, she started to wake up.

She felt around the bed for Paws, but when she didn't feel him, she began panicking. Did she lie to me?

She flung her comforter off and got out of bed. She expected to hear the chain rattling like every morning, but she didn't this time.

"Huh?"

She looked at her ankle and saw it gone. She also noticed that her shorts were gone.

"Where are my shorts?"

"On the dresser. You took them off in your sleep," Alekses said, walking in with a towel-covered puppy. She dried Paws some more before setting him on the floor, where he shook his body. "Put them on so you can eat breakfast."

Alekses left the room, leaving the door open when she was finished talking.

"Huh?"