Chapter 29: She May Have Made A Mistake

February 1812

January flitted by with surprising swiftness, like a fleeting glance of a gentleman in a crowded ballroom. The island's weather proved milder than expected, and the snow dissolved shortly after it graced the earth. Consequently, the ground lay mostly sodden and treacherously slick, posing a threat to Mina and Evie's footing should they not tread carefully.

Amidst leisurely walks through the idyllic countryside that enveloped their estate, they devoted their days to contemplation of their father's alleged conduct towards their mother and the Langdons. They reminisced about their previous sojourns at St. Helens, indulging in recollections of bygone days when they were but little girls. In addition to the sisters, the household staff consisted of only three individuals from the Finnegan household—a manservant and an elderly maid accompanied by her daughter. Alistair found himself with but a solitary manservant and meticulously prepared explanations to furnish his parents concerning his wife's absence during the most cherished holidays of the year.

Mina was convinced that she had become the least favoured person in the eyes of her brother-in-law and his parents. Frankly, she even disliked herself for being so severe toward Royston. Whatever relationship existed between his father and her mother, Royston was compelled to trust only the information provided by Polly, gleaned from unknown sources or perhaps directly from her late husband.

Oh, how Mina longed to possess the means to uncover the truth of what transpired all those years ago!

"What captures your attention and distracts your thoughts, dear Mina?" inquired Evie, noticing her sister's lack of appetite for the fish and potatoes as she hadn't speared a morsel for quite a while.

Mina paused, her gaze meeting her sister's, before she cleared her throat and began to speak. "I find myself pondering," she replied, "how have you come to terms with the recent news? It appears to me that you have accepted it with a swiftness that eludes me."

She endeavoured to maintain a tone devoid of judgment or accusation, striving for curiosity alone, yet Evie's brows knit together nonetheless.

"It has been weeks now, Mina. And I don't know... perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm with child, hence grappling with a different set of concerns?" Evie inquired with a touch of prickliness.

"Forgive me, Evie," her sister responded with genuine contrition. "I did not intend to upset you."

Evie sighed, her features softening. "Forgive me as well, Mina. It's the ache of longing that speaks through me. I miss my husband dearly, and yet you have not planned the arrangements for our return."

Mina took a moment to collect her thoughts before speaking, aware of her younger sister's scrutinizing gaze upon her.

"I have deliberated on the matter, and... I have decided I do not wish to depart yet," Mina finally said.

Evie's eyes widened with disbelief. "Mina! Surely you have not deliberated this properly! If I depart, my retinue shall depart with me, and the winter season still grips the countryside! I refuse to leave you alone as the sole occupant of this estate!"

"Evie, please understand," Mina replied calmly, "I am not yet prepared to face either of the Langdons."

Her sister gently shook her head. "You shall reside with me and Alistair, my dear, sparing you from any encounters you may wish to avoid. Moreover, the social season has yet to commence."

Observing Mina's hesitant expression, she continued, "You have shielded me from countless mishaps throughout our lives. Allow me now to serve as the voice of reason for you, dear sister."