Chapter 21: With Pleasure, Lord Stirling

October 1811

Fortunately, Mina found herself spared from any further need to defend against the machinations of Kate Lansing, as that insufferable woman had already ensnared another unfortunate soul in her vices. Besides, Eleanor soon joined Mina for the customary promenade to a nearby river, where the Duke of Eldridge graciously invited the guests to partake in the pursuit of fishing. As they strolled along, Miss Whitcombe, her arm linked with Mina's, couldn't help but notice a certain discontent lingering in Lord Langdon's demeanour. He stood among the group of gentlemen, one hand resting on his hip while the other firmly grasped the fishing rod.

"Lord Langdon does not appear overly enthused by this diversion," Eleanor remarked, casting a glance in the direction of her dear friend.

Mina smiled in agreement. "I daresay he finds more solace in his work, sketching those houses and such."

"Indeed," Eleanor confirmed, "he mentioned to me that the renovations progress steadily, with a third of the house nearly completed, including the roof. It brings him great satisfaction, especially as the winter season approaches, necessitating a pause. He's not overly pleased about being away from his charcoals and papers for long."

Mina pondered this revelation, a hint of bitterness tainting her thoughts. So, he shares such details with you, while I seem to be valued solely for the moments he grasps my bosom. Nevertheless, she knew she must respond, lest Eleanor become suspicious of her demeanour as well.

"Lord Langdon seemed rather eager to indulge in romantic literature yesterday," remarked Mina.

"Indeed, my dear Mina. After your departure, we found ourselves tasked with reading 'Romeo and Juliet' together. Based on the applause we received from the assembled company, I daresay we performed admirably in bringing those star-crossed lovers to life," replied Eleanor.

Mina's thoughts raced as she sensed a flutter in her stomach, a sensation akin to a sharp nudge. So, that's why everyone assumes you two are well-suited, she mused, hence his earlier defence of me seems to count for nought.

"Would you describe Lord Langdon as a romantic?" Eleanor inquired suddenly.

"Certainly not," Mina responded briskly. "But then again, what do I truly know of him? I cannot claim to be intimately acquainted with his character."

Her response caused Eleanor's eyebrows to arch, but the dear friend found herself unable to continue the conversation as Mina was addressed by another guest within their vicinity.

"Miss Haswell, would you care to try your hand at fishing?" Earl Westhaven inquired with a smirk that could charm any young lady in that moment.

"Nay, thank you, Lord Stirling," Mina replied, "I fear I would only manage to hook a gentleman's eye in such an endeavour."

"Well, should not catching a gentleman's eye be of the utmost importance on your agenda during this stay?" Victor remarked mischievously, drawing chuckles from the gentlemen nearby.

Mina and Eleanor refrained from laughter, both detecting the underlying mockery in his words. As Mina cast a sidelong glance at Roy, she noticed his lack of amusement; instead, his expression soured further, his brow furrowing in a frown.

"Women should have their noses buried in their books if they're not fishing at present," Mr. Wainwright commented. "Though all that romantic fiction only fills their heads with fanciful notions."

"Men should acquaint themselves with at least one romantic novel," Mina countered, her indignation mounting steadily. "Perhaps then they would understand better what brings happiness to their women."