Chapter 20: Two Birds In A Shrubbery

October 1811

The morning meal unfolded amidst a cacophony of voices, yet for Mina, it seemed a solitary affair. She found herself seated at a considerable remove from Roy and Eleanor, with Victor Stirling, Earl of Westhaven, occupying a place six seats distant. Thus, she had little choice but to listen in on the exchanges between neighbouring peers who shared an apparent familiarity, orchestrating their own agenda before the official proceedings began. It was as if Mina had become an unseen presence amidst their midst, feeling as conspicuous as a sore thumb. While she harboured no offence, the prospect of initiating conversation or inserting herself into their discourse felt contrived and lacking in natural inclination.

Therefore, at the earliest opportunity, she wrapped herself in her greatcoat and resolved to take a turn about the grounds, observing the various clusters of young people and elders as they pursued their own diversions. Mina briefly wondered about the whereabouts of Lady Langdon and Royston, but it seemed Roy was in attendance upon Eleanor – or so gossip whispered – and Polly... well, she appeared to be engrossed in conversation with other acquaintances.

What Mina didn't realize was that her seemingly innocent stroll would herald a momentous turning point in her life. Had she known, she might have chosen differently—perhaps to forego the notion of seeking solace in the garden altogether, or better yet, to avoid attending the accursed house party entirely. Yet, there she was, wandering amidst the vast expanse of the garden, her footsteps guiding her toward a secluded bench. It was there that she discerned a peculiar sound carried upon the breeze.

"Pspsps."

The whispered summons emanated from beyond a meticulously manicured hedge.

"Kitty-cat, come hither, psps."

Mina's curiosity was aroused, for not only could she not discern the face behind the voice, but there was an undeniable familiarity to its tone. With a flutter of anticipation, she resolved to unravel the mystery and skilfully navigated around the imposing foliage. After all, she reasoned, what harm could there be in peering behind this formidable hedge?

She swiftly traversed the grounds until she reached an open expanse, where a majestic oak tree stood tall. To her surprise, she spotted a gentleman beneath its branches, gesturing urgently toward the canopy above. Perched high in the tree, a white-striped, orange kitty meandered along a thick bough. Though she could only discern the gentleman's silhouette and tousled blonde locks from behind, she had little doubt that it was none other than Royston Langdon himself.

A peculiar character, indeed. He was the very man who had lured her into a daring wager, all the while making occasional advances and proving altogether insufferable with his smug countenance. And now, it seemed, he was endeavouring to rescue a stranded kitten, despite his usual airs of arrogance and indifference.

Ah, it appears there's a glimmer of compassion beneath that veneer of haughtiness, Mina mused silently. How unexpected. One would have thought he'd be in Eleanor's company, lavishing her with honeyed words until she capitulates entirely.

A soft chuckle escaped Mina's lips, reaching Roy's ears and causing him to start. His gaze snapped toward her, brows knitting together in a mixture of surprise and irritation.

"What's so amusing, Miss Mina?" he inquired, his voice carrying a serious tone, as though she had caught him pilfering some precious items rather than merely being a fool for an unruly kitten.

Undeterred by his stern countenance, Mina approached him, her hands gesturing to encompass the scene unfolding before them.

"Everything transpiring here," she remarked, her tone playful.