Chapter 8: A Darling To Everyone

May 1811

Viscount Sinclair harboured a profound resentment for his present circumstances, a sentiment he made no effort to conceal. As he reclined upon his lamentable bed, his ruminations invariably circled back to the events that had unfolded thus far between himself and Mina. Particularly vivid were the memories of their encounter amidst the oak branches and the ill-fated stumble in the attic. Despite his best attempts to banish these recollections, it was akin to endeavouring to polish buttons within a pigsty—those vivid images persistently resurfaced, eliciting a certain rigidity in a most unwelcome quarter.

I'm a goddamned fool, he admonished himself in the stillness of his solitude. She holds nought but animosity towards me. Pray, what significance does she truly hold in my life? An insolent wench, devoid of any prospects for redemption, for she takes great pleasure in alluding to the realms of Hades and demons, and such trifles.

Yet the lord himself was not renowned for his piety, and the Almighty surely observed his wandering thoughts whenever he graced the pew. Besides, he needed to purge the miss from his very veins, pain in his elbow be damned. Royston let out a weary sigh, then extended his hand towards the napkins resting upon the nightstand and attended to his needs. In the end, absolution seemed as elusive to him as ever, for he had been engaged in such penance ever since that audacious young miss had crossed his path.

In the midst of this, a carriage made its stately halt upon the driveway, and from its confines emerged two ladies, their countenances aglow with anticipation. Side by side in graceful accord, they made their way towards the entrance. The butler ushered them in when one of the ladies gently entreated him thus:

"Pray, convey our presence to Miss Haswell, if you would be so kind."

Fortuitously, at that very instant, Miss Haswell herself turned the corner, and the sudden sight of the guests brought forth a radiant smile upon her visage, mingled with an air of pleasant astonishment.

"Evie! Eleanor!" she exclaimed, hastening forth to enfold her sister in a warm embrace, and then her dearest friend.

"My apologies, Mina, for our rather impromptu arrival," Evie explained with a genteel air. "Eleanor was most eager to see you, having just returned from London with her brother. Alistair has taken him on a hunting excursion, affording us the opportunity to call upon you, rather than languishing at home like a pair of old matrons."

"Indeed," Eleanor chimed in, gently taking hold of Mina's hands. "I find myself quite intrigued by the events that have transpired in your life during these recent months, dear Mina. And please, do accept my heartfelt condolences concerning your beloved father. Regrettably, my family and I were unable to attend the funeral, as we were sojourning in Edinburgh at the time," she added, offering a firm squeeze of support through their clasped hands.

Eleanor, at the tender age of two and twenty, a mere year junior to Evie, possessed a countenance of rare beauty. Her cheeks bore the hue of delicate roses, her lips a richer crimson, and her wide brown eyes exuded a captivating charm. Beneath her bonnet, her chestnut tresses were neatly concealed. She was, indeed, a highly sought-after lady of society, yet remained unmarried, for none of the gentlemen had managed to capture her heart.

Mina regarded her dear friend with a gentle smile, though within her bosom, a flurry of emotions danced. "Thank you, Eleanor. It all occurred quite suddenly, but, as they say, we may not question the designs of Providence," she replied before casting a fond gaze upon her sister and then turning her attention back to Eleanor. "Why do we not partake of some tea in the garden? The weather smiles upon us so graciously today."

Shortly after being served tea and biscuits beneath the gazebo in the expansive garden, Evie arched her delicate brow and delicately inquired of her sister, Mina, "Dearest sister, I do not wish to impose in any manner, but would it not be prudent for us to also announce our presence to the lord and lady of this estate?"