Chapter 17: A Proper Gentleman?

October 1811

Royston could not fathom... no, he refused to fathom from where that daring request emanated, uttered by the damsel he still clasped to his chest. She was expected to distance herself, to harbour nothing but disdain for him, not to present herself as a woman of compromised virtues!

Not that he wasn't flattered. Nevertheless, it was Mina bloody Haswell, confound it all!

"You impudent, inebriated hussy," he replied to her audacious proposition. "I know not what libations you imbibed with whom, but rest assured, I shall not entertain a single touch while you remain in this condition," Roy murmured as he gently placed her on her feet, still retaining hold of her arm in case she might falter once more.

"But why the hesitation?" she grinned mischievously. "You constantly dangle the prospect of good times before me, and now you withdraw your offer? Truly, it casts a shadow on your reputation as a gentleman."

His eyebrows furrowed as he guided her assertively toward the entrance. "I won't have you tarnishing my name nor reputation, do you comprehend?!"

"But who mentioned any tarnishing, Langdon?" Mina retorted, halting him just as they were poised to ascend the staircase leading to her chambers. "Ah, I see," she grinned, "your mother might indeed frown upon it. Yet, if I were to inform her that you're already touching me and planting kisses on my neck, perhaps she'd be amenable to us taking things to another level. What do you think?"

Royston observed in dismay as her lips parted, and she commenced to exclaim, "Polly! Polly, your son—"

His hand promptly covered her mouth before she could utter another word concerning his alleged involvement in the sinful course of her existence. "Keep silent, for God's sake," he whispered urgently, fervently hoping that her improper outburst would not summon a servant, butler, or worse, his own mother.

Mina giggled as he pushed her up the stairs rather unceremoniously. "Oh, my dear Lord Langdon, I would have thought you'd take advantage of the situation to touch my precious bottom. It's a part of my body that hasn't experienced your firmness yet."

"I should spank your buttocks long and hard indeed," muttered Royston.

He had to be careful as she almost slipped to the side, risking a tumble down the stairs, prompting him to grab her by the waist and drag her up the last few steps as if she were a sack of potatoes.

A foul-mouthed, inebriated sack of potatoes that could cause him great trouble if anyone were to hear the advances she was so daringly making.

"I was unaware of your strength, Royston," Mina remarked with a tipsy mix of admiration and mischief. "Now, I'm tempted to concede that once you're finished with me, I may opt to keep our liaison a secret from the whole world."

Gratefully, he swiftly escorted her over the threshold of her bedchamber, closing the door with a firm hand. Still treating her as a rather heavy sack of potatoes, he lifted and threw her onto the plush cushions and a blanket, coaxing laughter from her.

"You are excessively inebriated," he admonished with sternness, "don't you possess even a shred of shame in your conduct?!"

Mina rose, capturing his hand before he could withdraw it.

"I? Inebriated?!" she teased, her grin mischievous. "But have you beheld your eyes in the moonlight, Lord Langdon?"

Royston shook his head. "Nay, but I've seen you in your deepest cups, and that's more than I ever bargained for," he responded, attempting to extricate himself.

"Where do you think you're going?! Is this how you treat a lady who's delighted to see you, Lord Langdon?"

The daring coquette endeavoured to pull him closer, tugging at his sleeve in an attempt to guide him toward her bed!