Chapter 1: In Loving Memory

March 1811

Miss Mina Haswell believed she had everything at her feet – her dreams, possibilities, and even a promising future for her family. She was happily engaged to her childhood friend, and her younger sister enjoyed the attentions of a suitable suitor, securing her a comfortable life alongside the affection they held for each other. It felt like a miraculous turn of events – two women in one family united by love and not mere convenience? Yet, Mina couldn't help but feel that such smoothness in their lives must surely invite adversity.

Tragedy struck first when her betrothed passed away.

It was said that the reason of death was a stroke, but good Heavens – he was only one and twenty, for crying out loud! It seemed incomprehensible that a young man like him could simply drop dead! Nevertheless, he was gone, along with Mina's dreams of love. Time passed, and despite numerous suitors, none could capture her heart. Mina felt like an empty shell, dressed in mourning attire day after day, much to the concern of her father and sister. They wished only for her happiness, but she seemed to sink deeper into melancholy. She also empathized with her sister, whose betrothed had joined the army, leaving her with only letters as tokens of his promise to return and marry her – and thankfully, he did return unharmed after years of absence.

Then, alas, her father met his demise.

And, astonishingly, it was another stroke that claimed his life! After Mina learned that from the physician, she fell into her sister's embrace and exclaimed:

"Steel yourself, Evie, for neither day nor hour do we know when a stroke may befall us too!"

They wept and then laughed, wept, and laughed... it was all bittersweet mix considering her sister's impending wedding, which was just a month away. The family solicitor arrived merely two days later to enlighten Mina about the intricacies and legalities surrounding the transfer of the Viscount title, along with its numerous privileges, to its rightful new owner.

"Miss Haswell, I bear no intention of hurrying you in this matter, but it is imperative that you apprise the Langdons of the circumstances. Your sister's dowry is entangled in these affairs," the elderly solicitor conveyed with a sympathetic countenance.

Mina sighed and delicately wiped her tear-stained eyes. She had scarcely bid her beloved father farewell, as his casket was lowered into its eternal resting place, and now she found herself compelled to engage with the living, individuals she had encountered but a handful of times in her life. While the Haswells resided in Southampton, the Langdons called Dover their abode, a considerable distance that, though not insurmountable, made regular family interactions rather infrequent if not outright non-existent.

"Whom should I address the letter to, please?" she asked the solicitor with a solemn tone.

"I believe the soon-to-be minted Viscount Sinclair is to be Mr. Royston Langdon."

"Thank you," she responded gracefully, noting down his name. The solicitor, in a gentlemanly gesture, provided her with his own note along with the address.

She smiled at the old man with gratitude and once they bid their farewells, she returned to the writing table. Placing a fresh, clean sheet of paper before her, she dipped the quill into the inkwell. The sound of the quill scratching against the paper echoed through the room, while she wrote the first line:

Dear Mr. Langdon,

Mina then stopped abruptly and scoffed. Should I address him as Mr. Langdon, or should I acknowledge his new title? She contemplated the matter briefly. After all, she was writing this letter for her sister's sake, hence it had to be done without any mistake. With a sense of determination, she continued her letter: