Chapter 57 - Eyes in the Shadows

Serena lay awake the whole night, her mind consumed by thoughts of the shadowy figure she had seen earlier. The image of the mysterious person lingered in her thoughts, shrouded in darkness and uncertainty. When Aviva, woke up and noticed Serena's restless state, concern laced her words.

"You didn't sleep well, Serena," Aviva remarked, her voice soft with concern.

Serena blinked, momentarily startled back to the present. "Uh huh, I didn't get much sleep," she admitted, her voice heavy with fatigue. Without waiting for further inquiry, she rose from her bed and made her way to the bathroom to freshen up, seeking solace in the routine of her morning rituals.

As Serena emerged from her room and headed towards the kitchen, an uneasy sensation prickled at the back of her neck. It felt as though someone was following her, a notion she dismissed at first. But as the sensation persisted, she couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. With a sense of trepidation, she turned around, only to find no one behind her.

For a moment, Serena stood frozen in place, her heart pounding in her chest. Then, she heard it-the unmistakable sound of footsteps, drawing closer with each passing second. Steeling herself, she whirled around, ready to confront whoever was trailing her. To her surprise, it was Alexander.

Caught off guard by Serena's expression, Alexander brow furrowed. "Why do you look so startled? What happened?"

Struggling to compose herself, Serena glanced around anxiously. "No... Nothing," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "Was it you who was following me just now?"

Shaking his head, Alexander replied, "No, I just arrived. Was someone following you?"

Uncertainty clouded Serena's features as she struggled to find an explanation. "I don't... I don't know," she admitted, her voice tinged with unease. "Why did you come here?"

"I'm heading to the kitchen," Alexander explained. "To tell madam edith to assign you as the sole chef for Prince Oliver's meals from now on."

Serena's curiosity sparked at Prince Oliver's sudden favoritism for her cooking. "Why?" she inquired, her eyes alight with surprise and intrigue. "Does Prince Oliver only want to eat food made by me?"

As they conversed, unbeknownst to them, Prince Ethan observed from the shadows, clutching a painting in his hands, his heart racing with anticipation. Peering stealthily from behind a marble pillar, Prince Ethan was looking intently to the exchange between Serena and Alexander. His curiosity burned as he sought to decipher the nature of their conversation.

With a hushed tone, Prince Ethan whispered to himself, "What is Alexander talking about with Serena? Do they know each other?"

Meanwhile, Alexander hesitated for a moment before responding to Serena's inquiry. "I can't explain the situation right now," he replied enigmatically. "But you can take it that way-that Prince Oliver wants to eat food made by you."

As Alexander spoke, Prince Ethan's inner turmoil waged war against his better judgment. "Proceed, Alexander... Just depart... I must unveil the painting to her," his silent voice urged, barely audible beyond his own ears. Yet, amidst his inner musings, a cascade of doubts flooded his mind. "Should I approach them now? But if Alexander discovers my creation of Serena's portrait, it could inadvertently reach Prince Oliver's ears. I want to keep this secret from all my brothers."

But Prince Ethan's hopes were dashed when Alexander and Serena strolled together towards the kitchen, their steps echoing like a lament in his troubled mind.

"Aah.. First Lucas, then father, then Sophia... and now Alexander, could this get any worse, ooh God?" Prince Ethan lamented quietly, his heart heavy with the weight of secrecy and longing. With a heavy sigh, he turned away, retreating to the solace of his quarters.