PART 20 :: DEEP THOUGHTS AND GRUMPY GRANDPA

Sowriya's pov

I was so into staring at the sky and having a messy discussion inside my head that I did not realize that someone had entered the room and also the electricity had been cut. Not, until I heard a gasp and turned to see who it was. It was at the same time, the power came back.

I saw Mr. Groom Garu looking at me with an expression that I hadn't seen before. Just for a moment, we locked our eyes and I broke it to avoid him. I don't want to stare into his eyes today.. not right now. I didn't know what kind of expression I gave, but he stood up, cleared his throat, took an extra pillow, and started sleeping on the couch.

My brain once again started a debate on whether I should go ask him to sleep on the bed and I will take the couch or whether I should feel happy that he has respected me and taken the couch.

Too late; I was already hearing a low snore, which indicates that he is asleep.

But I couldn't sleep tonight; though I still don't have my headache completely gone, I couldn't rest. I was replaying everything that happened from this morning. It's been almost 21 hours that I have slept, but still, I couldn't sleep as this place doesn't feel like home. For God's sake, I haven't slept in a room with a man before. How could I do it now?

I missed my mom. Little tears pooled in my eyes when I remembered the day I told my mom that I would never think about her when I went to my in-laws house. But look at me as I search for my mother's lap in this deep, dark sky. I spoke to her last at the airport, on my brother's phone. She asked me to take care, not talk back to the elders, and wake up early tomorrow. Silly mother. Now I wanted to talk to her, but I can't; as my phone's dead and I don't have my charger with me. God!!! I don't even have my journal to jot everything down.

It started drizzling again. Great!

I went back in, and slowly, without waking him up, I closed the big balcony door. It was a netted door, so natural air can flow in to condition the room, and everything inside is visible from outside. I went near the bed, and it was completely covered with rose petals. I don't want to sleep on this big bed when its owner is sleeping on the couch. but I have no other choice. I swept all the petals to the opposite side of the bed and laid on the other.

I can't sleep!! There is a man sleeping right in front of me, facing me! One big swish of the wind, and that's it! My whole saree will be blown up! I can't even take the sheets, as all the petals will fall to the floor. I just stared at the ceiling fan for some time, and just for a safer side, I crossed my legs, holding up my saree.

I started thinking again, about my parents, marriage, his family, him, and the kids. I think there is no point in arguing with him. He has fixed something in his mind, and without knowing the truth, it is bad to judge somebody. I will try to understand him, and if all this is a misunderstanding, we can try to fix it and start our relationship. But if it's just his ego and him being unreasonable, then I know what I have to do. It is my life, and I need to take care of it. I just hope that I won't regret anything. Thinking about all this made my eyes droopy, and I don't know when, but sleep engulfed me.

Third Person's POV

It was around 3 a.m. when Surya woke up. He wasn't feeling very comfortable on the couch, because If he stretch his body, half of his legs will be dangling out. So he woke up and was trying to figure out something when he heard someone snoring, and it was Sowriya. She was using her own saree's pallu (end of a saree) to cover her upper body while sleeping. There was cool breeze coming through the balcony and the climate was cold too. Surya was used to this, as he actually wanted his room to be this way. But not everybody will be able to withstand such coldness. As he thought about what his bamma was saying, he felt a little bit guilty. Maybe even she might not like him at all, but for her family, she had married him. So far, she is doing what the elders are saying and is very normal with everyone. It was really difficult to understand women, he thought.