PART 7 :: THE MEETING

Surya's pov

The issue with the suppliers finally came to an end. We reached home around 1 AM in the morning. There was Venu anna waiting for us sleeping in the veranda, inside the house. He was with this family for a long time now. He helps with house hold chores and with managing the stock in the barn at the back of our house and also manages the cattle shed 2 streets after, that belongs to us. He lived in our house until he was married and after marriage he lives in a seperate house next to our home. Rani akka, Venu anna's wife also comes and helps our mothers whenever there is a festival or big events. When he heard us coming, he immedietly stood up and went in the kitchen to fetch us water and asked us, "Have you had dinner babu?" Such unselfish love. We smiled and informed him that we had dinner at the restaurant itself and asked the same to him to which he replied yes. After that he asked us if we need hot water to take a shower, which we politely declined. Its already too late and he has to go home. With that he left and we went to our rooms, took a shower and immedietly fell asleep as we were very tierd of today's events completely forgetting the fact that no one was at home.

I woke up late at 7AM, still feeling grumpy for not getting enough sleep. But I am unable to hit the bed again as I feel too uneasy to do so. Today I decided to go for jogging at the evening, so I took a shower and went down for my breakfast. Venu anna served me breakfast, that's when realization hit me, that my family is at Chennai to visit Rajesh's bride. I immeditely took my phone and rang Sai to know about their wheareabouts. He informed me that they reached safely and are on the way to the Bride's home. He inquired me about the restaurant's issue and I confirmed him that everything is solved now. I was actually surprised to know that I forgot no one was home last night. Rajesh came down the stairs greeting me and sitting in the table for breakfast. I kind of felt guilty that, because of me he did not go to meet his bride.

"You should have left when I asked you you to go ra"

"Where annaya?", he asked me genuienly confused.

"To Chennai. To meet your future wife." I smirked.

He suddenly changed his focus to the food in his plate and said, "I didn't want to leave you here alone annaya."

I know he is very shy and when I felt that he was uncomfortable with this topic, I stopped teasing him and I also felt grateful for having him. As there was no other work for me today and Rajesh also left for the Restaurant, I wanted to stroll the streets of our beautiful village today. It's just 5KM from a nearby town where all necessary things are available. We went to high school in that town and those morning and evening walks were the best of my life. As I strolled the village, I met with my old friends and spent some time with them. Then we decided to go to the pond where we usually swim and it was worth spending the time there. I went back home after sometime then spent the rest of the day in my laptop watching series.

Sowriya's pov

I was very tensed now. I heard the elders speaking. They were exchanging details about how they grew up, about their village/town, how they settled in their life and inrtoducing their family members to each other. As time passed, one uncle from the group asked with humor,

"We have been speaking for a very long time, can you guys altest show us our Daughter-in-law's face? we have come from very far you know.."

My heart kind of stopped for a second as laughter erupted from the hall. I had my sister and my other cousin with me now. They both have already been in my shoes. They just exchanged smiles and looked at me while trying very had to control their laughs. I ignored them like I never heard what happened outside. Then my pinni(aunt) came in with a tray with coffee cups and asked me to come. I know what happens now. I just have to smile and give coffee to the guests and go inside the kitchen. I was actually enjoying all this when this happened to my sister. Now its my turn and I am terrified, I get how it feels. I went out and everyone's eyes were on me. If it was possible, I would have ran back in or digged the ground and go inside the earth. But as it's not possible, I gave the coffee to the lady who was sitting down at the corner of the mattress. Suddenly my uncle said, "Give to your maavaya(father-in-law) first ma!..". I looked up and shocked to see 5 men almost identical sitting in front of me on the sofa and who is my maavaya here?. I'm sure I heard giggles from the opposite side where I think thier kids were sitting.

"It's ok ma, give to everyone as you wish." a voice came, I assume that he is my maavaya. So I first went to him and gave to him, then the one next to him and continued till the end were the ladies were sitting. Then came another tray, which I gave to the kids..not kids they look almost my age, except 2 or 3. I finally went in the kitchen and it was already packed with ladies. I scolded my dad inwardly for not building a bigger kitchen. Hence I had no other go but to stand at the corner of the room. One lady from the group called me to sit beside her and as usual I saw my mother for permission. She just nodded her head encouraging me to go forward. I sat there as the elders spoke occationaly glacing at everyone and recieving glances from others. There were 18 of them and 8 of us. I was shocked to realize that our hall could fit so many people. After sometime, I was asked to go inside and I felt relieved to be in our room again.

As time passed, some of their children, who are almost my age came in to meet me. They were all raised good as they spoke very politely and never once praised the groom. They said me what they were doing currently and asked about me. I easily jelled with them and even talked about our favorite music artists. This one guy, Chandrashekar, Chandhu as everyone call him was the talkative in the group but I understand that this is his personality or nature to mix with everyone and make everyone laugh. Though I enjoyed all this, I still kept a distance from them, because the marriage is not yet fixed and anything can happen anytime. It was time and they had to leave. As they haven't had lunch, they have to eat lunch outside and catch the train on time. It is decided that my family members will be visiting their house the next month on an auspicious day as a tradition(basically to see if the house is ok for the bride to live).Then after three months, a day will be fixed for the marriage.

While everyone started to leave, Chandhu asked for my phone number so he can give it to his brother. I stood there silently(embarrassed) looking at my appa. He was smiling uneasily. One uncle from the group, I assume as Chandhu's father said, 'Chandhu! Go call driver uncle'

He understood the situation but still lingered there, so my appa asked me to share my phone number. I gave him and he happily went out smiling as though he has accomplished something big.

The day came to an end and we were all tired, may be because of waking up early. So we all went to bed earlier that day. My father informed us that my future in-laws boarded train safely. I can't resist but to wait for a message. If you're asking from whom? I can't particularly point out a person as I expected atleast one kid from the family will text me as everyone shared my number. But I didn't get any. Thinking that they would be more tired than us, I put my curiosity to the back of my head as sleep slowly consumed me.