PART 1 :: THE ALLIANCE

Sowriya's pov

At 9:20, my favourite pop artist's song blast in my home. I woke up and logged in and then slept again. Yeah this is me, the laziest person. My mother came yelling at me to wake up and eat breakfast and that she's hungry. My father goes to work early in the morning and its just me and my mother. So we usually eat together, but mornings are not for me. Eventually my mom would have her breakfast and sets mine aside for me to eat whenever I want. At around 9:50 I lazily wake up again complaining I'm not getting enough sleep and do my morning chores, have my breakfast and finally sit to work. Yes, because they pay me 25000 a month and I have to work.

After some time my nephew Ajay came running to me indicating me that my sister has come home. He is the cutest bundle in my life.. when he was a newborn, I used to take care of him and always watch over him. Now, I started giving baths to him and playing and all that stuff. Then we had lunch and chatted for sometime during my breaks. As time passed, it was the time my father comes back from work and me logging out. This was my everyday routine. But today there is something unusual. After my sister left, my father was in my grandma's room/house in the same compound which is now his room where he keeps his belongings. My mother took a cup of tea and went to him and I started to wash the dishes as it is the only work I do in the house. Even after I finished doing dishes, my parents aren't coming back.. I can hear them talking seriously but still cannot understand what they are speaking about. Ignoring them, I just swept our house of three rooms, a kitchen, a hall and a bedroom and sat down to watch TV. It was dinner time now and still they haven't come yet. I am unable to control my curiosity so I stood up to go to them, that's when they came back. Ok then. I did not ask anything, it's my nature. I don't ask people about what they were talking or such things but wait for them to open up themselves. I'm just afraid that they would think I'm invading their privacy. As it's time for dinner we all sat and ate some rice with sambar and brinjal fry. After that we watched TV for sometime and my mother slowly started..

"Your father has seen a samandham (alliance) for you..from Hyderabad" said my mom

It was just awkward to say anything right now so I replied, "it's your wish ma(mom), you know what's right for me"

Yes I wanted to be independent but growing up being not allowed to got out or asking permission for everything and with many other restrictions, I did not dare to fall for anyone as that would land me hurting many and I am sure that I would never find my match all by myself anytime soon or in my life time, I just accepted the pace I am right now in. To the plan of going to abroad and earning more for buying a house, I guess that's not gonna happen but still I have already saved some money and would definitely tell whoever I am going to marry, that I will still work until I buy a house for my parents. There are married women who work and take care of their family and their in- laws.. I can be one of them too.

After what I said to my mom, I just continued watching TV, and I am sure my parents are exchanging proud smiles. That made me happy..

Days went by the news reached my sister, my cousins and other relatives and people around my age started making fun of me and as usual I just smiled and completely ignored them.

We just received the alliance but haven't even contacted them directly yet. It was my father's friend who told us about the alliance and my parents asked them to send his astrology chart and everything. My parents consulted an astrologer to see if we are a good match, the result was good.. not so extraordinary like we are made for each other or something like that but still we might lead a peaceful life if we were married. With that my parents said ok to them. I saw this whole process like applying for a job and waiting for my interview first, then for my results and then the job offer, frustrating. Finally after 2 weeks they replied us that they are also interested in the alliance and wanted to meet us. The elders talked and fixed a date to just formally meet but out of the house. This meeting was only for elders and we are not included. This was a kind of tradition (not really) that my family follows, which is only after fixing the marriage the boy and the girl meet each other.

Before the formal meeting, I was asked to wear a saree and pose, which will be sent to the groom's family. My mom helped me wearing one, As I don't no how to wear one by myself yet. I did not wear any makeup as I am allergic to it when I was young and even though it doesn't harm me now, I hate being a fake doll.

The formal meeting was over and the boy's parents came from Hyderabad
Just for this. And they exchanged numbers and photos and went back again. When my parents reached home, I was just silent not showing my curiosity about what happened there.. my father said they were kind and sweet and seems to be mature while talking. And my mother said the lady was simple and talked politely. They sent me the groom's picture for me to see and tell whether I like him or not, as if I can reject him now, if I don't like his face. I had other ideas though, it was something I wanted to do from the day an alliance came for my sister, which is not see the groom's pic or talk to him until I am married to him. So I did not even download his picture. When my mom asked, I told her "I am ok with anyone You guys select". When she insisted me, I just said ok. And finally I asked for the boy's name. My mother replied,

"Ramachandran"