Chapter 30 ~ Revisiting that Day

Well guys how was last chapter :3

How are we feeling~

Who's the biggest suspect?

I sighed, grabbing a chair and sitting next to him. "Did we really have to sit at your study table to explain this?"

"Yes." He said simply, not looking at me, but focusing on his so-called 'documents'.

I huffed. "Couldn't we just have done it downstairs?"

"Well, we're up here now." He rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Or would you prefer going back down again?"

"Ugh... Whatever."

He chuckled at my reaction. "Now, now. Let's get started, shall we?"

I nodded.

"First of all... You've read at least one newspaper in the pile, right?" He said, as I nodded again.

He picked up one of the papers off the wooden table in hesitation,and spun around in his wheeled office-like chair like what a bored child would do. There was probably a large amount of him not wanting to look at this and bring back the memories again, but he was forcing himself to do it. Most probably, for me.

"Before I explain." He stopped for a second. "Was there anything special you had seen on that day? Anything odd or suspicious?"

I thought hard, "No...? Not that I know of... I just felt myself getting hit and... That was it."

"Alright..." He let out a heavy sigh and sat back on his chair. "No other leads, then."

"So..." I was eager for him to get started, but I didn't want to make him.

"What I've mostly highlighted in the papers are about the disappearing driver - well, if there ever was one - and what happened afterwards, when we were both unconscious and... Half dead." He said, spreading all the newspaper he collected on the table, none of them piled on top of one another.

I eyed him so he knew I was listening. He continued on explaining, "On newspapers, they have to make sure the information is correct, so there are no theories. And that's when I went online. Not many people do this but I could still find some."

I raised an eyebrow, "Were they realistic, though?"

"Yeah. A common one was that he ran away straight after hitting you. But there was security footage, and none of them seemed to record a third person, or so that's what they say. As much as I want to, I can't get any footage on my computer. Some also say they changed the footage, but I doubt that's possible."

"-The one that caught my attention was the one that said the truck was a self-driving one." He stared at one of the newspapers and started fiddling with it. " It was like Mizuki's guess about it being driven by a robot. That one seemed the most realistic."

I interrupted him, "That means there isn't a driver at all!"

He nodded at me, his face serious. "That is true. But we could find the person who owns the truck, could't we? They're responsible either way."

"Wait, wait, hold on." I stopped him, "If it was as easy as looking up their license plates, then why haven't the police done it already? Why would we have to do it?"

"They couldn't find them. This person... They're so mysterious." Rui said as he put his thumb and his index finger under his chin. "They tracked down their location, I think. But it was fake. Which leads to the possibility of... Their whole identity being fake in the first place."

"Rui..." I let out a tiny breath, "You sure you want to figure it out? It sounds too complicated for just a university student, you should just hand this to the police... And it's not like I hold any grudges for them anyway. I... already forgave them."

"TSUKASA!" He suddenly slammed the table and stood up. He usually adds an honorific after my name, so this alone made me flinch and take a small step backwards.

He sat back down, closing his eyes for a short while then looked at me. "Sorry... I didn't mean to yell. But you don't seem to understand how serious this is, do you?"

"What? What's so serious? I already forgave them, it's-"

"Tsukasa!" He called again. "You don't understand! If they made a fake identity and bought a truck with it, that's already a crime. Plus, if they made it before the accident... You know what it means, do you now?"

I blinked in confusion, then realization hit me. I gasped and kept shaking my head left and right in fear. "But that's... Not possible... It's not realistic...!"

Rui stood up and put his hands on my shoulder. "Tsukasa. Listen. It is possible. It is realistic."

I was panicking. "But... But then..."

"Look, Tsukasa-kun..." He hugged me, "Calm down first. I can't have you having a panic attack..."

"Rui..." My voice was trembling so much, and I was shaking. I could barely make out what I was saying. The thought of this whole thing frightened me. "It's scary... I don't like it."

Rui hugged me tighter, letting my head rest on his chest and spoke in a calm, sympathetic tone, "I don't like it either... But calm down, okay?"

I nodded and pulled away from the tight embrace. Rui looked into my eyes. "Tsukasa-kun... If you don't want to listen to this, you can stop me. I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

Rui sat back on his chair and sighed, drowning into deep thoughts. Silence took over us for minutes until I finally made my decision. "No, Rui, I don't want to give up this just yet. Yes, it is uncomfortable. But this accident has involved us and had a big impact on our lives. You were right, I don't think we should just ignore it."

He nodded, "Alright then, just tell me if you do get uncomfortable, okay?"

"Okay."

"Before we delve deeper into this, there is one thing I also wanted to know, but couldn't seem to figure out."

I tilted my head.

He took a deep breath and looked outside the window, perhaps a bit nervous, "Let's say their target was us. Who were they trying to kill?"

"H- Huh?" I stuttered.

He turned his chair towards me, seemingly a bit hesitant. "What I mean is... When I ran into the road, I was supposed to get hit, wasn't I? But I didn't, only because... You jumped in." His eyes were full of guilt. "So if the original target was meant to be me... Why wasn't there another attempt on killing me? Why am I not dead right now?"

I frowned. What Rui said made sense, but at the same time it didn't. "Erm... Either that they didn't want to... Or..."

"...Or their target was just one of us. It didn't matter who was taken down." I finished after a moment. 

I'm sorry guys I don't think me in nov knew what a fucking panic attack is