Forty-One.

As Wren stepped out of her father's office, she walked down the hallway towards her bedroom. The familiar surroundings a little odd after being away for so many weeks. 

But as she turned the corner, her heart skipped a beat at the sight of a familiar figure waiting in the hallway. Sang, stood before her, his eyes filled with relief and concern as he rushed towards her with outstretched arms.

"Wren," he breathed, his voice tinged with emotion as he enveloped her in a tight embrace.

For a moment, Wren stood frozen in his arms, the warmth of his touch flooding her senses with a flood of memories and emotions she had long suppressed. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes as she buried her face in his chest, the weight of being gone so long lifting with each ragged breath she took.

"Sang," she whispered, her voice trembling with emotion as she clung to him, her fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt as if afraid he might vanish into thin air.

In that moment, surrounded by the familiar scent of him and the comforting strength of his embrace, Wren felt a sense of homecoming wash over her—a reminder of the bond they shared. 

"I missed you so much, little bird," he said, still holding her so tightly she almost couldn't breathe. 

"I missed you too. I'm sorry I had you worried." 

He pulled back and looked at her kneeling in front of her so he could get a better look at her face. "I'm just happy you're alright and back home safe and sound." 

Sang's gaze shifted to her father's office down the hall. "How did he take it?" 

"He was pissed." She admitted. "But then he calmed down. They both said they'd do what they could to help me get my own place and that I could fight, as long as it is not illegal." 

Sang's eyes widened. "So you're staying?" 

"For now," she said, a small smile upturning her lips. 

"So what's the plan?" Sang asked, rubbing his hands together. She missed his enthusiasm, his love for life. The brightness in his eyes. And most of all the safety she felt around him. He was her best friend. 

"Well, I need to find a job. And a place to box." 

Sang smiled. "I think we can mange that." 

***

 Wren sat on the edge of her bed that night, after all the police had left, and she'd agreed to a physical exam by the doctors. She was cleared, and was able to head back to her room and the house was suddenly quiet after the chaos of the day. 

Her gaze drifted over the familiar surroundings that once felt like home. But now, in the wake of her recent ordeal, the room seemed to take on a different hue—a reminder of the life she had left behind, and the person she had become in its absence.

As she traced her fingers along the edge of her nightstand, her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden ring of her burner phone. With a sense of trepidation, she reached out to answer it, her heart pounding in her chest as she brought the device to her ear.

"Hello?" she said, her voice tentative as she awaited the caller's response.

"Wren, it's Korain," came the familiar voice on the other end of the line, its warmth and concern washing over her. 

At the sound of his voice, Wren felt a surge of guilt and also relief. 

"I've seen the news," Korain continued, his voice filled with genuine concern. "Are you alright?"