Twenty-Five

Wren watched the news the next morning, while eating a bowl of chocolate cereal.

"It's been reported that Kim Wren is safe, but that she still hasn't been found. Kim Wren has reached out via payphone to let her family know she is safe, and that she left on her own."

Wren scrunched her nose, hating that Sang told her parents and that her parents told the reporters. These people that didn't even know her were dissecting her runaway case. If they only knew the truth.

"Kim Wren was kidnapped as a young child and was subject to many months of abuse by the hands of several criminals. Some of you may have remembered the horrific case. Her parents are eager to get her home, not wanting to relive the trauma they experienced losing their daughter once before."

Wren turned off the TV, setting her bowl on her scratched up coffee table and put her head in her hands.

She was tired. Sleeping was still a struggle, despite listening to her forbidden lullabies each night. At first his voice had been the cure, but now it was like her subconscious was fighting even harder to torture her, poking holes in her attempts to calm her mind.

Something happened to her that day she was hit in the ring. And Wren wished that she could figure out why that would trigger her horrific memories.

Wren wanted emotional trauma to heal like her physical wounds. For she'd much rather have a physical scar than emotional ones. It was like trying to solve a puzzle, figuring out what her mind needed to truly put the past behind her. Wren may never know. And that's what scared her the most.

Wren rubbed the sleep from her eyes, hating that she was starting to lose sight of why she'd left in the first place. And to make matters worse she felt more guilty than usual for leaving that morning.

She looked around at the empty apartment and something heavy fell on her heart. It was like the weight of a brick was on her chest and Wren fought back the sudden sting of tears in the corners of her vision

"Stop," she commanded herself aloud, sniffling to push back the emotions. "You're fine."

She knew she was fine. But now that she'd been in her new place for a week she was starting to feel what she hoped she'd never feel. Loneliness.

"You're just emotional," she told herself aloud, and then proceeded to check her special app that told her when she was going to start her period. She was notorious for getting a bit more emotional the week before her cycle.

But unfortunately she couldn't blame it on her body, she still had two more weeks til her cycle. She would be pushing it to say it was hormones.

She was simply being human. Wren had never been away from her family or Sang for this long. And she had to admit, she was sort of missing them. . .

But that wasn't the only thing Wren was feeling the absence of.

Her eyes looked out the window at the city of Busan splayed out on the horizon. She missed boxing with a partner, her sessions with Jungkook, and the little moments of banter between them.

Wren shook her head, trying to rattle the unwarranted thought away. Knowing that it was ridiculous for her to be reminiscent over her time with the idol.

"You barely knew each other," she said aloud, realizing she was going insane talking to herself aloud in her apartment, answering the thoughts rambling inside her head.

Wren groaned and stood up to get her keys. She needed to get out of the house. She knew it was dangerous to be driving her car around, but she was going to lose her mind if she stayed one more minute in the quiet walls of her little apartment.