Twenty-Two

Wren stormed out of her father's office, leaving her parents yelling after her. But she ignored their protests and continued until she got to her room, grabbed her keys, shoe box full of money, and then her boxing duffel.

She left everything else behind.

Wren opened the passenger seat of her car, threw in her belongings and then got into the drivers side. She pulled out of the garage just as her mother came out the front door trying to wave her down.

Wren didn't look back. She continued to ignore her mother's voice telling her to pull over.

She couldn't stop.

Pressing the gas, Wren drove out of the driveway at a ridiculous speed. When she got onto the highway tears were swimming in her eyes. She gasped for air as a hiccuping sob escaped her.

She didn't want to have to leave like that. But they'd left her no choice.

Wren glanced at her minimal belongings in the passenger side and another sob escaped her. Despite being able to fight like hell with her fists, she was weak. Her insides had been shattered ten years ago, and she still wasn't completely put back together. There were cracks and tears in her soul that still caused her immense pain. Boxing was just a mask. Underneath she was just a young girl trying to find herself.

Wren unthinkingly drove, her subconscious taking her to a place she hadn't been in months. Rain started to fall at one point, peppering her windshield with fat water droplets that matched her mood.

She surprised even herself when she pulled into the cemetery, stepping out into the sprinkling rain. She didn't bother with a hood, she simply let the drops dampen her hair and skin.

She shoved her hands into her pockets and started walking on the path to the grave she used to visit once a week. She'd come to the cemetery many times to think when things got difficult.

After a bit of a walk up the hillside, Wren found Eun's headstone. Wren read the engraving on the slate stone, water dripping off her eyelashes and onto her cheeks.

Wren swallowed the lump in her throat and tried to calm herself.

"What do I do, Eun?" she asked aloud. Hoping he could hear her. She firmly believed he was still watching over her. She knew he wouldn't just abandon her, even if he was just a spirit now.

Eun had been her teacher, her friend, and mentor. At one point, he'd known her the best. If he hadn't been there that day to save her, Wren didn't want to know where she might've ended up.

When Wren had been kidnapped, she'd been in captivity for eight months. She'd been kept in a dark room, and the things that happened to her while in that dark place were the things that resurfaced in her nightmares. Some of it she remembered, other things she'd completely blocked out because they were too horrific for her brain to process.

During one of the rare times her captors had taken her with them to a market she'd been in the car. She'd looked up out the window, too broken to do anything but look out and wish that someone would find her and take her back to her family.

Then a miracle occurred. A man spotted her sitting in the backseat of the car. He recognized her from the news and had immediately got out his phone and called the police and started to try and get her out of the car.

Her captors had returned to find Eun trying to aid in her escape, and Wren watched from the window as Eun single handedly took down three men much larger than him.

Wren had been entranced by the technique Eun had exhibited. In Wren's eyes, it was the thing that saved her.

If Eun hadn't had his boxing and martial arts he wouldn't have been able to fight off her captors, and the police never would've gotten to the parking lot and broke into the car to get her out.