Chapter 22 - Loophole

A/N: Not sure if what's below can even be considered as "lime," but I marked it anyway.

==========================================================

Izuku POV

Three days had passed without Ochaco returning to the dorms, and a knot of worry twisted in my stomach. Would she ever come back? I sat on the bench near the school gates, trying to pass the time.

For the last few days, I'd been immersing myself in the world of Elsewhere as much as possible, determined to grow stronger. Itsuka, Nana, and Yui had been by my side, and a sense of camaraderie had blossomed between us as we hunted monsters together. I'd also exacted my revenge on the high-level Fire Elemental that had burned me a week before the start of the school year.

After a few minutes, I realized it was time for Ceremonial Magic class. Maybe, by some miracle, Ochaco would attend despite our feud, giving us a chance to make amends. I let out a deep sigh before catching sight of Mina heading to class.

'I guess I should go with her.'

"Hey, Mina," I greeted her, falling into step beside her.

"Oh. Hi, Izuku!" Her face brightened as she closed the distance between us. I'd vowed to avoid distractions, but the scent of her hair made my heart race despite my best efforts to steer my thoughts elsewhere.

"How did the coursework go?" I asked, recalling her fury at Nana the last time. Today, she seemed calmer.

"What coursework?" She blinked at me. "Oh. That stupid thug never showed up. Not my problem." She looped her arm through mine.

"You haven't seen Ochaco around, have you?" I tried to keep my tone casual, though hope flickered within me.

"No, not really. But I'm sure she'll be in class," Mina said with a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, I was hoping to meet up with her before that...but nevermind. Let's go." Pushing my worries aside, I walked with Mina toward DGN1 and took our seat.

"Welcome to this session of Ceremonial Magic. Before we start, I have some housekeeping matters to address," Sarah said, pausing meaningfully. "Princess Pendragon will be absent today, having returned to the Court on official business."

"Gods. Damn. It." I muttered under my breath, hopes dashed.

"She has also requested a change in coursework assignments," Sarah continued. "Izuku, I believe that means you'll now be paired with...let me see...Nana?"

"What?" I blurted out, caught off guard.

"Actually, Dr. Sarah, if I may." Mina, who was sitting beside me for some inexplicable reason, interjected. "I believe Izuku and I would make an excellent partnership."

I leaned toward her, whispering urgently, "What are you playing at here?"

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing," she whispered back with a conspiratorial gleam in her eye.

"What the fuck is going on?" I hissed, thoroughly confused.

"Oh, Miss Ashido? You would rather partner with Izuku than Miss Pendragon?" Sarah asked, surprised she would forfeit the opportunity. "Very well, if you insist."

"I thought you were all about finding a connection to the Throne and using it to get rich?" I questioned Mina, perplexed by her uncharacteristic actions.

"Later," she deflected. "I'll explain later."

I sighed heavily. "You'd better."

Without missing a beat, Sarah launched into the lecture. "Apart from that, today we will discuss the logic underpinning the Magical Membrane Circles, and how it differentiates from normal summoning circles." Actually, so long as you don't consider her area of expertise, she's a very good teacher. I found myself learning quite a lot over the next hour.