Chapter 14 - Ceremonial Magic Part 2 (Homework 1)

In the Crowley

"Is this your workplace?" Ochaco inquired, her gaze meandering around the pub, absorbing the ambiance and surroundings.

"That's correct. Midnight-sensei had a connection with my Mom way back, so she's letting me use one of the rooms for free," I informed her, casting a quick glance around the pub to see if Midnight-sensei was present. Even though she granted me permission to use the room, I still felt it necessary to ensure she was aware of our presence. "So long as I also help here with...things."

"Evoker things? I've mentioned this before, but I imagine running a public house in this world is no easier than in Elsewhere. However, having an Evoker bouncer might be a tad overkill," Ochaco remarked, her tone reflecting a mix of curiosity and skepticism.

"Ehh...someone I used to know has a saying that overkill is something only the other guy complains about. But he used to be in Special Forces, so that probably has something to do with it," I told her, recalling the saying with a hint of nostalgia.

"Hey, Izuku. I was going to order some...Oh. Greetings, Princess. May you ever be safe in my home," Midnight-sensei suddenly appeared, her unexpected arrival catching me off guard.

"Good morning, Midnight-sensei; this is Ochaco. I guess you two already knew each other?" I asked, feeling a mix of surprise and curiosity about their connection. Ochaco seemed uneasy, her gaze avoiding Midnight-sensei, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to their relationship than met the eye.

"I...I have met her before. I think? It was a very long time ago," Ochaco replied hesitantly, her tone suggesting there might be more to the story. I decided not to push further, respecting her privacy and understanding that she might not be ready to share everything just yet.

I eyed Midnight-sensei, curious about her response. "I do travel the Paths in Elsewhere, Izuku. And I've been to the Court a few times. That's all," she explained. Her words were cryptic, but I trusted her. After all, with those glowing eyes, she couldn't tell a lie. Deciding to let it go for now, I turned my attention back to Ochaco.

"Want to head up to my room?" I proposed, gesturing towards the staircase. "It's just upstairs, last door on the left."

"That will be fine, I expect. Farewell, Lady Sorceress," Ochaco bid Midnight-sensei farewell with a polite nod.

"After you, My Lady," I said, gesturing for Ochaco to lead the way upstairs.

"Be very careful, Izuku. You're swimming in deep waters right now," Midnight-sensei cautioned me, her tone laced with concern and seriousness I haven't heard from her before. Her gaze lingered on the stairs where Ochaco had just been, her narrowed eyes hinting at hidden depths of worry.

"No worries, I swim like a fish," I reassured her, though a flicker of doubt danced in my mind. Do I really know what I'm doing? Yeah, there's nothing to worry about. I went upstairs to where my room was. While I hadn't spent a night in here before, I had made sure it was presentable, at the very least, for occasions such as this.

As the morning light filtered through the curtains, painting golden hues across the floor, I stood at the threshold of the room. With a gentle push, the door swung open, revealing a haven untouched by the chaos of the outside world.

Stepping inside, I was greeted by the soft warmth of the morning sun, casting long shadows that danced upon the walls. The bed, with its plump pillows and neatly tucked sheets, awaited its weary occupant, promising dreams woven from the fabric of peace. The chair, with its plush cushion and gentle curve, invited reflection, a sanctuary for introspection amidst the chaos of the world outside. And the table, with its polished surface and steady legs, held the promise of productivity, a platform for ideas to take flight under the gentle tap of fingertips on keys.