C47. A Loved One.

Start from the beginning

Cao Xun assisted Yunzhu into the carriage before riding his horse over to Cao Shao.

On this chilly night, Cao Shao urged, "Brother, please accompany sister-in-law in the carriage."

Cao Xun smiled and replied, "You reek of alcohol. Let the wind take care of it."

Cao Shao ceased trying to persuade him.

Upon their return to Duke Dingguo's mansion, Cao Xun dismounted and waited by Yunzhu's carriage.

After a long day of socializing, Yunzhu was exhausted and in need of rest. Despite her desire to ask Cao Xun to carry her, she refrained from doing so, mindful of Cao Shao's presence. Yielding to Cao Xun's beckoning, she reluctantly disembarked from the carriage.

The four of them entered the gate of Cao Mansion one after another, Cao Shao accompanied Pan to the west courtyard.

Once inside the gates of the Cao Mansion, Yunzhu threw herself into Cao Xun's arms and pleaded, "I'm so tired. Please carry me."

Shrouded in an inky veil, even the lanterns' meager luminescence sputtered in vain. Yunzhu, however, held no fear of watchful eyes of the servants.

The patter of retreating footsteps faded like whispers in the night. Cao Xun, heart echoing the rhythm, held the delicate form closer, warmth blooming in the space between them.

In response, a ghost of a smile danced on Yunzhu's lips, finding refuge in the curve of his shoulder.

Unperturbed by the darkness, Cao Xun held Yunzhu close as they headed back to their chambers.

In the quiet of their room, they freshened up and settled into bed.

Huddling closer to Cao Xun for warmth, Yunzhu asked, "I'm exhausted. Please don't bother me tonight?"

Cao Xun, understanding her desire for rest, gently held her hand and murmured, "Sleep peacefully."

The next morning, before Cao Xun rose, he kissed her awake.

In response, Yunzhu grumbled, "I haven't slept enough yet!"

Cao Xun embraced her from behind and smiled: "I have something to discuss with you."

Yunzhu opened her eyes and asked: "What is it?"

Cao Xun explained: "I was informed by Xing Jian that today is the expected delivery date for his wife. Her family lives far away. Would you be willing to visit them after breakfast?"

Yunzhu was surprised: "You remember this so precisely?"

Cao Xun affirmed: "Xing Jian and I are brothers."

Yunzhu rarely witnessed such seriousness in his gaze. This revealed the genuine brotherhood between Cao Xun and Zhang Xingjian, unrelated to Cao Shao's pursuit of honor.

Given their legitimate brotherhood and Zhang Xingjian's current situation, it was natural for Cao Xun to be concerned about the birth of his second child.

"I understand. I will go," Yunzhu acquiesced.

Cao Xun gently caressed her head and rose from bed.

Although visiting was Cao Xun's suggestion, Yunzhu appreciated Zhang Xingjian and Liu Jing, rendering the task agreeable.

After preparing the gifts, Yunzhu entered the carriage and departed promptly.

En route, they unexpectedly encountered the carriage of Gu Qinghe's wife, Zhao Shi. This suggested that the couple also recalled the impending delivery.

Conversing in the carriage was complicated. Upon alighting at the entrance of the Huai'an Marquis Mansion, Zhao Shi smiled and remarked to Yunzhu: "Originally, the Duke married you, hence making us equals. Now, A Min is betrothed to your brother. It has reinstated the hierarchy between us."