23: Genesis

His phone rang. He turned off the water and jumped out of the shower, quickly grabbing a towel. Running into his bedroom, he pressed the green talk button.

"Hello?"

"Uncle Hiro?" Warmth spread throughout his chest. Hisae.

"Ah, you're speaking English!" She giggled.

"Mama is teaching me. Does it sound good?" She had a very strong Japanese accent and he loved it.

"Mm. Very good!" She laughed.

"Uncle Hiro?"

"Yes hime?"

"Are you taking care of yourself?" Her innocent question made his heart flutter. He smiled softly.

"Mm. Uncle Hiro is doing well."

"Are you sure?"

"Mmhm. Is my hime worried?"

"I haven't heard from you in a long time! Mama says you are working very hard in America. But, sometimes I think working can make you miserable." He chuckled.

"Ah, you're very wise hime."

"I just wanted to let you know that I am praying hard for you Uncle Hiro! I pray that you can make things good with the people in your life and can return to mama and me happy." He grew still. Make things right with the people in his life? How very uncanny for her to say that...He cleared his throat.

"Thank you hime. I will come home soon." She giggled.

"Yay!! I miss you! Can I come to America again?"

"Mm. Hana and I will talk about it first okay?"

"Okay!"

"Speaking of Mom, where is she?"

"Ah, she's making breakfast."

"Ahh. Are you ready for school?"

"Mm. I have to go actually."

"Okay sweetheart. Go ahead! Study hard and pay attention in class today hm?"

"I will."

"Give the phone to Hana."

"Mm." He put the phone on speaker and quickly dried off.

"Hello?" He smiled as he put on some sweatpants.

"Well, look at you Hana. Fancy with the English nowadays hm?" She laughed.

"Why should you be the only cool one?" He laughed in return.

"Hey, what are you doing? Why haven't you brought Rae back with you?" He sheepishly ruffled his hair.

"About that..."

"Eh?"

"Well, I think perhaps I moved a bit too soon in my haste. She wants nothing to do with me right now." Hana clucked her tongue.

"Ah, look at you already messing up. It's been a year!"

"I know. It's taken longer than I expected but... that's a good thing."

"Eh? Why?"

"To be honest, neither Rae or I are ready to jump back into being together. Having been gone ten years, I'm sure you can understand the distance. On top of everything that has happened between us... and everything that happened while we were apart... all of that needs to be sorted through first."