"Paws? What are you doing, boy," she ruffled his head when she got close.

Paws nipped her hand and continued clawing at the door, making Alekses cringe at the damage.

"Alright, alright, you can stop now," Alekses pushed him away from the door. "Dammit, Paws."

Paws barked in response and walked through his door, expecting her to be right behind him, but she wasn't. Like Xhenia, Alekses had her own reasons for hesitating to open the door.

What if she doesn't want to see me? I probably should leave her alone for a bit longer before I talk to her.

Alekses turned to leave but stopped in her tracks when she heard a faint voice call out her name. From the sound of her voice, Alekses could tell Xhenia was crying.

All her hesitation and worries flew outside. Alekses opened the door and ran to Xhenia's side. She could tell Xhenia was hugging her knees to her chest under the comforter.

"What's wrong, little mo-Xhenia? Why are you crying?"

At the sound of Alekses' voice, Xhenia uncovered herself and ran into Alekses' arms.

"I'm sorry," she cried into Alekses' chest. "I don't know what I did, but please forgive me. Tell me what I did, and I won't do it again."

Her speech and breathing were both frantic. Her grip on Alekses was tight while she trembled in the woman's arms. She was internally conflicted. The way she was acting scared her and didn't make her situation better for her.

"It's okay, Xhenia," Alekses cooed, rubbing Xhenia's head. "You did nothing wrong."

"I thought you left me."

Alekses planned to drop Xhenia off at the apartment she bought for her and leave a note, but she feared something like this would happen, so she brought her to her home first.

"It's okay. I'm here," she whispered against the woman's head. "I'm right here."

"Please, don't leave me."

Knowing she couldn't agree with Xhenia's request, Alekses remained silent. She didn't think either would become this attached to the other. Though Alekses' attachment was genuine, it still clouded her head that Xhenia's was against her own will. This was far from Alekses' original agenda, but like the clouds, with time, people change.

"Alekses?"

Alekses looked down at Xhenia at the sound of her name and hummed.

"What is it?"

"W-where am I?"

"My home."

"Y-your home?"

Alekses nodded and pulled away from Xhenia.

"Are you cold?"

Xhenia nodded and slipped her arms under Alekses' shirt, trying to warm herself. Alekses shivered at the skin contact and pushed Xhenia away from her, telling herself she needed to distance herself for now.

"Get under the blanket, and I'll turn the heat on."

Alekses turned to leave, but Xhenia grabbed her arm.

"Can I go with you?"

Xhenia expected her request to be denied, but Alekses nodded and left the room, leaving the door open.

Xhenia followed behind Alekses with a slight pep in her step. She didn't expect the place to be so big compared to the other.

Here, there were paintings and pictures of sceneries on the wall. There was a staircase at this house that left her astonished.