Fall

Aziraphale tugged on his fingers and his ears perked at the sound of footsteps approaching the shop's entrance, only for them to become a mere echo as the steps drifted away yet again. His mouth felt dry as did his throat and he had the sudden urge to pull on something if only it would keep his mind occupied with anything but the anticipation he felt. The angel let out a frustrated grunt and resumed his pacing from before.

"No." Crowley's voice rang from behind a bookcase. "Because I said so." He remained silent for a moment as he listened to the other person on the line. "Nonono, I don't care." He shook his head. "Oh, so if Maggie jumps off a bridge, you will too?"

Still feeling restless, Aziraphale joined Crowley behind the bookcase where he found the demon looking out one of the windows.

"I said around the area." Crowley stammered and shook his head. "Well, then..." he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "ah, ah now when did I say that?"

Aziraphale licked his lips and peaked his head out towards the door.

"No. No. Turn around." He growled. "I can clearly see you not listening." He waved. "Well, life's not fair, not even for us." Crowley sighed and placed his hand on his hip. "You said you wanted to take a breather and we agreed you would stay within the area where we can feel you."

The angel let out a long breath and reluctantly sat on the sofa.

"Ngk...well, when you have your own bloody child, you can do whatever you wish but unfortunately you are my bloody child, and you will do as I say." The demon growled and pointed to his left. "But don't drink too much." Crowley clicked his tongue as he noticed Mrs. Sandwich eye him from across the street, sending him a not so nice gesture his way. "Yea? Well, you tell Mrs. Sandwich to have her own daughter if she wants to get someone pissed." Crowley's full attention was on his daughter as he growled once more. "Look both ways before crossing the street like that! ...Yes, you can discorporate!"

Cassi walked past the shop and playfully tapped on the window. "Stay with Muriel and be careful...yes...I don't think so...because...right, love you too." The demon released a big sigh as he pressed the end button on his phone. "And you want another one of those, ugh." He plopped down next to Aziraphale on the sofa. "You alright, angel?" He crossed his legs and placed a hand behind Aziraphale.

"Ah, ye-yes."

Crowley puffed out air from the corner of his mouth and ran his fingers through his hair. "Clearly," he sniffed, "he's not coming...nobody is." The demon gave Aziraphale a reality check. The angel grunted in response and tried to stand, only to have Crowley pull him back. Aziraphale closed his eyes and pinched his nose. "You want some wine?"

Aziraphale shook his head.

Crowley bit his lip and slowly nodded as he looked around the shop. They remained silent for a while with only the voice of the pedestrians outside echoing within the bookshop. Crowley could see how Aziraphale was bothered by the fact heaven did not take his call. The circle on the floor did not glow no matter how many times Aziraphale tried to reach heaven. Crowley tried to comfort the dejected angel as best as he could with Aziraphale insisting it was alright, that he was indeed alright with heaven casting him completely away.

Crowley sighed and patted the angel's thigh. "You won't fall. I promised I wouldn't let you."

Aziraphale opened his eyes and looked down at Crowley's hand, his ring a promise of their future together. "I told you; I wouldn't mind falling knowing you'll catch me." He closed the little gap they had between them and tenderly kissed the demon.

Crowley stroked Aziraphale's cheek. "I know you mean that but-" he squeezed his hand gently, "-it's alright to also feel...the way you are feeling right now."