Not So Blissful Secrets

Bonus Chapter

STELLA
MEADOWS

I was twenty-six when I opened the box my Mother left me before she ran away from home when I was in middle school.

My body was trembling. I tasted copper in my mouth, realizing I was biting my tongue. I breathed. I'm grown. I'm a mother. I'm Stella Meadows and I'm not afraid.

This night was filled with terrors.

I unlocked the box. A bunch of letters and picture frames falls out. My heart stung. And tears threatened to leave my eyes.

She left this picture frame because she knew how much it haunted me. Fat Stella. Back when I was the over-weight cousin and relative. The chubby friend. But I became better. I didn't allow these pathetic people to spite me and break through me.

An unfolded letter.

M. RUSSEL

Not going to be very deary,

I married your Father. Regretted it because he fucking ruined me. I'm in Paris, living my best life unlike you. Escape. Just do it. I'm sending you these for a reason. I raised you and regretted why I wasn't harsh on you. All you did was whine and shove pastries in your mouth. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You're disgusting like your Father.

I swallow, throwing the letter on the ground and moving to the other one.

This one was really old. Too old. Why was it here?

TRAGIC FAMILY.

Second night of my wedding day, what a  great honeymoon, mommy. Thanks for throwing me away for cash. To a man I barely know. I'll be damned if I surivibe. But if I do escape, I'll leave everything behind like you did. At least you could have given him Claudia. She's more experienced and older. Or did you give him the useless daughter?

Claudia? I furrow my eyebrows. Mom had a sister? She never spoke of her. Interesting.

I unfolded another crumbled piece of paper, allowing my eyes to scan.

FIRST BABY AND LAST.

She's very pretty. Looks like mommy as I held her in my arms. Too bad the Doctor said she was too overweight for a newborn. I don't want her to turn out like me. Better starve her from a young age.

GOODBYE

I'll be honest.

Never liked you or your Father, Stella.

But I did care about you.

I asked you. Mom or Dad? You chose him. Die for all I care. Burn in hell. You'll just turn out broken with him.

Goodbye. I'm already gone by the time you read this.

Well. I guess Bridget will have to gain self-confidence to not turn out bad like my parents. That's what my goal was. Make my family perfect. Just because mine wasn't doesn't mean I can't make a genuinely perfect family with no flaws.

"Good morning. What are you doing?" The suspicious, deep voice mutters behind me.

I turned, still on the ground of the gazebo. I lifted my head and found Damon. Why was he up at eight in the morning? Nevermind, he's the leader after all.

I quickly push the letters and photos back inside the box. "Nothing," My voice cracks.

God. I can never hide around Damon. He figures and calculates everyone so easily.