𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟕

STELLA

The school postponed the graduation of Lily's accident. All of our parents were here in the hospital, and all of us refused to leave until she woke up. Truth is, it's been three days. The surgery went fine but she still hasn't woken up. According to the Doctor, her body is still in shock. The good thing is her heart is beating and her brain is working just fine. However, there's a huge scar on her stomach.

"What if she never wakes up from her coma?" Avery whispered. All of us were sitting on the phone while our parents took the hospital seats. "Don't say that," Marci mumbled. None of us tried to put up a simple conversation, we all sat so far from each other yet so close.

"Lily is strong, she can do it." I forced out. You know the feeling when your throat tightens so much because you're feeling a lot of emotion but you don't want to break down? That's what I'm feeling.

"This never would've happened if we were there for each other," Marcella said. I turned to her and Avery stayed silent.

"I don't get it, are you blaming us? You guys chose to avoid us. We're here for our best friend, not to make up an argument."

"Stella, are you sure we're best friends? After all, tell me one time when you have opened up for us to help you. You try to deal with things alone but do you know how guilty we feel because we can't help you? We love you, but why can't you trust us?" Marci glanced at me.

I couldn't respond to anything, most of all, because she was hurt and she was trying to take her anger out. And, she's right. "Why don't you come with me? You haven't eaten anything." Grayson stood in front of me. I got up and we walked in the elevator.

"She's just hurt. And, I know you're hurting as well. Don't worry, it's okay to feel, Stella." He muttered. We both didn't look at each other, just waited for the elevator to open. "You can push everyone away but you can't push me. I'll always be there for you." He repeated.

"I don't deserve to have people care for me," I admitted, tears forming in my eyes.

"Fuck, Stella. If you could read my mind, you would know how thoroughly I care about you. You're more than cared for. You are--loved." I hated the moment the elevator slid open. "I'll take you to eat and we'll come back." He promised.

"What if something happens to Lily?"

"Then I'll make sure we get here as fast as possible, even if it means getting a helicopter to pick us up."

We were in Grayson's car, eating. The food slid down my throat so plainly, I hated what was going on. "You can speak, I'll listen," Grayson murmured, making me turn to look at him. I nodded and opened my mouth to let everything out.

"When Marcella called me and told me Lily got into a car accident, my whole world froze. It's like the piece of my heart that was still beating for Liliana, stopped beating. I couldn't believe it. I felt the need to run to the hospital and make sure the surgeons do their job right. I was weak, I couldn't even comfort my best friends. It's like we're strangers. If Lily doesn't make it, we all don't. We all die with her."

"Hey--listen to me. Lily will make it. And you guys are not strangers. All of you are dealing with anger and sadness. None of you are at fault, none of you are guilty. I believe in you, and I am so fucking proud of you. Stay strong. Lily will need you when she wakes up. And, you need her." Grayson caressed my hand.

"Is it okay to need you too?"

"Princes, we will always need each other."

TWO DAYS LATER...