Chapter 38: First step

Adam didn't appear the day after the discussion. Nate was extremely worried although Anna, Harry, Ashton and me told him that everything would be okay. We tried to reassure him that Adam would calm down and realize that he had to ask for an explanation and when Nate gave it to him he would understand that he deserved one last chance.

Anna had a plan to make Adam realize that Nate finally was serious about him, however to accomplish that plan he had to show up at the party and that was the difficult part. We would have to lure him into it.

The day before the party Adam showed up at school. He had his hair pulled to the side in a messy way and his eyes were bloodshot and tired, he looked like he hadn't slept well.

Nate went straight to talk to him but Adam dismissed him like he was trash. Anna tried to talk to him too, but there was no luck. He was angry and hurt and didn't want to talk to anyone.

I was in my way to my last class after lunch when I spotted Adam in the hallway.

"Hey, Adam." I said.

"Hey, Via." He said in a singsong voice mocking mine. Seems like he's not mad at me I thought.

"Which class are you going?" I asked trying to sound friendly.

"Mrs. Robinson." He answered shortly.

"Great, me too. We can talk while we walk there". He gave me a sideways glare. "I just want to talk." I said faking innocence.

"Why have you and your friends been following me all day?" He asked already knowing what I was trying to do.

Fail.

"Look, Nate regrets what he did. And he was hoping that you would come to the party. After the game, you know".

"Yeah, I know".

"Are you going to come, then?" I asked a bit too eager.

"Absolutely not".

"Why not? It's just a party".

"We are in class, bye" he said harshly and walked inside.

Damnit. I needed to sound more convincing.

The first thirty minutes passed by. I couldn't think of anything to say to Adam that could make him come to the party. Think girl! I could offer him money, or tell him that there would be cheerleaders.

Seriously, Via? Cheerleaders?

The bell rang, I got up and watched Adam do the same. He made a bee-line towards the door, but when he was just about to walk through it he turned around and mouthed the word "Okay".

"Anna, Anna, Anna" I said smiling at her when I found her in the canteen. "I did it!"

"What did you do?" she asked confused.

"Adam's coming to the party!" I told her excited.

"Yay! First step of the plan accomplished. Now we just have to hope that the next one goes well."