Cahpter 31: A friend is needed

I stood up and listened carefully. Everything was silent during a few seconds and then I heard the noise again. I walked towards the window. When I was in front of it I saw a small stone being thrown against the glass. I opened the window to see who was throwing the stones. It was very dark outside, I couldn't see anything. I was about to close the window when a stone landed on my face.

"Ouch" I said. "Who's there?"

"It's me" said a deep voice. "Come here I need to talk to you".

I tiptoed my way downstairs and to the garden. I couldn't believe I had come here in the middle of the night just because he had asked me.

"Hey" he said. He was standing in front of the porch with his hands on his pockets.

"Hi" I said. I waited for him to answer but he didn't say anything. "What do you want, Nate?"

"I need to ask you something" I was surprised.

"What do you need?" I asked concerned. I was her friend, I would do anything that he asked me.

"You can't tell anybody what you saw tonight" was he kidding?

"I can't believe you're saying that" I said glaring at him venomously.

"I don't want anyone to know about it" he said sitting on the stairs.

"You kissed her and you don't want anyone to know" I sat next to him.

"I don't want Adam to find out about this" he covered his face with his hands.

"Don't you realize what you're doing to him?" he looked at me, regret was visible in his eyes. "You tell Adam you want to be with him but behind his back you do whatever you want".

"I didn't realize I was doing that".

"Don't lie to me Nate. You were perfectly aware of what you were doing" I sighed. "You just decided to ignore what was wrong and what was right".

"I... I..." he sighed.

"You don't know what to say or what to do because you are not selfless enough to choose him over you. You just want what's best for you and your popularity no matter how you're hurting him. And you know I'm right but you're too proud to admit it" I paused and got up. I was getting angrier with each passing second and, trust me, you don't want to be near me when I'm angry. I took a deep breath to calm down. "My ethics teacher told me one day that trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair,... I believe that you already broke it that day at the party if not earlier and by doing what you're doing... you're not helping on the repairing part. He's not going to trust you when you tell him that you want a serious relationship with him if you keep up on what you're doing ".

After I had told him what I thought I felt much better. That was something I needed to say although saying it could mean the end of our already lost relationship.

He remained silent for a few seconds and then broke down. I knelt in front of him and hugged him tightly. He sobbed on my shoulder for a few minutes.

"I'm sorry" he said.

"You don't have to apologize to me".

"I do. In fact, I think I have to apologize to everyone for not being the real me in front of them".

I smiled. "That's a good idea".

"Yeah,...  but how am I supposed to do it?" he asked worried.

"I think you should start with Adam and then Ashton and Harry. That would be the best. But make sure Marlene doesn't say anything after apologizing to her to".

"Okay, I'll do that" he said a bit unsure.

"I'll be beside you" I smiled.

He smiled too and hugged me. It felt good to hug him as a friend after all that had happened. I needed a friend and he needed one too.