Chapter 2: The neighbours

I woke up curled up in a ball under the grand piano that there was in my bedroom. The night before I had fallen asleep under it after sobbing what felt like forever. Staying in my mother's bedroom was harder that it thought. Everything here remembered me about her.

I unpacked all my things and then I took a shower. When I went downstairs my grandmother was already awake and cooking breakfast.

"Good morning" I said.

"Good morning, Via" my name was Olivia but everybody called me Via.

After making small talk about when I was starting school and if I needed to buy anything before starting it, I asked her about our neighbours.

" Oh, they moved a little bit more that a year ago I think." she answered me. " Jim is really nice, and his daughter is so sweet. I'm sure that you will get on well with her very soon. I babysit her from time to time, her name's Chloe".

"And that guy that came yesterday at the airport?"

"He's Harry, a good boy too".

"How old is he?" I wanted to know more about him.

"I don't know sweetie, you should ask him". Definitely I would ask him.

"Who's their mother?"

"She died giving birth to Chloe". She replied with a sad expression. I just nodded.

"Well, I think I'm going to read outside" I told grandma when I finished my breakfast.

The garden was huge but we shared it with the neighbours.

I sat on a bench near our door and I started reading The book thief, one of my favourite books.

After a while the same guy from yesterday came talking on the phone about a party that he was throwing at his house before starting at school. He was getting angrier by the second and started pulling on his hair, that I noticed wasn't as curly as it had been the day before.

"Are you Olivia?" he asked when he hang up.

"Yes, but call me Via".

"Okay. I'm Nate". Nate? I thought he was called Harry. He might have guessed by my expression that I was confused because he added: " The guy that you met yesterday was Harry, we're twins".

"Oh, okay". Two like them? Am I in heaven?

"Don't worry about it, it happens all the time." He smiled, he had a beautiful smile. " So, I was talking to my friend on the phone.... we're throwing a party tomorrow because of the end of the summer. Do you wanna come?"

"Sure" I smiled. I was looking forward to it.