Chapter 21: A lie

To say that the ride to shcool the day after the great explanation had been awkward would be the understandment of the century.

Nate had welcomed me with a "Hey beautiful" as always but I just said "morning" as an answer. After that he had been silent and, althought Harry had tried to make things better, Nate understood that something was wrong.

"Have you seen the new Imagine Dragons videoclip?" asked Harry.

"Yes, I did" I said.

"Did you like it?" he asked.

"Of course, I did. It's Imagine Dragons!" I shouted harshly at him.

After that nobody said anything else and I felt bad for Harry.

.....................................

At lunch Nate, Anna and Ashton weren't at our table, nobody knew why.

"What are you doing today after school, Via?" Harry asked me after he had finished his lunch.

"I don't know, I supose I'll do my homework and after that I'll do something with Chloe".

"Oh, okay".

"Why are you asking?" I was curious about it.

"I just wanted to know" he said in a low voice looking at his tray.

................................

By the time I had arrived home after school Chloe was already there. She was sitting on the sofa brushing a doll's hair.

"Hi Via" she said when she saw me.

"Hi" I answered and I hugged her.

"How was school today?" today grandma had bushed her hair instead of me, I hadn't wanted to see Nate.

"It was okay. The girls like my braids" she said proudly.

"They do?" I asked excited and happy for her. She nodded with a big simple on her face.

After we had had dinner I sat on the sofa with Chloe and we watched the tv for a while. When it was time for Chloe to go home Nate came. He sat beside me on the sofa and I stiffened.

"What are you watching?" he asked.

"Cartoons" said Chloe, he nodded.

"What did I miss today at lunch?" he asked me.

"Nothing important" I replied.

"Good" he said starring at the tv. "There's a Game/Bet night today, do you want to come?" he asked a few minutes later.

At that moment I felt a thousand emotions inside me. I wanted to go, to have my friend back. But at the same time I knew I couldn't, because I still liked him, being in love with someone is something you can't erase that easily. So I decided not to go, I couldn't keep doing that to myself, letting my heart feel something that my brain knew wasn't possible.

"I don't think I can. I've got a lot of homework to do" I answered althought we both knew it was a lie.

{Author's note: I know I already said what I'm going to say, but I'll say it again just in case. Ashton is named after the main character of "Nothing left to loose", not some random musician as you may think.

I would like to dedicate this chapter to my parents because today is their 18th wedding anniversary. Vote and comment please xx}