Chapter 17: The confession

Anna and Nate were downstairs talking about 'the thing'. My grandma had been sleeping since I told her that Nate was okay and she could go to sleep.

I was leaning againts the piano worried sick about Nate. I didn't know what the fight was about or who was crying inside the bathroom or what was 'the thing' that Anna had said earlier that seemed so important and confidential.

I wanted to know because I liked Nate and I cared about him and I didn't like to see him like this, depressed and sad.

While I was wondering what could be 'the thing', Harry entered in my room. He sat in front of the piano and said: "Nice piano" like a guy who sees an Aston Martin.

"Thanks, it was my mother's" I told him.

"Do you play it?"

"I know some songs but the easy ones you teach a kid when he is learning. Do you?" I asked him curious.

"Do I what?"

"Do you play the piano?"

"Yeah, I do" he answered.

"Are you good at it?"

"Average" I didn't believe him, but before I could ask anything he said:

"What were Adam and Nate fighting about?"

"I don't know, they don't want to tell me" I said becoming more upset by the moment.

Harry saw it and came to sit by me. He put an arm over my shoulders and hugged me to his side.

"Don't worry, it will be okay. Nate is a tough guy" he said.

"I know, but it's just not that, I..." I began to say, I was on the edge of tears.

"Are you angry because he doesn't want to tell you?"

"Yes..." that was just a part of it.

"I know he's a good friend of yours but I can be a friend to you too" he said smiling. I hugged him and burst out crying.

"Hey, don't cry, I'm sure it's just something silly and soon we will be laughthing about it" he said. I continued crying and he asked: "Do you want me to play something to you?" I nodded.

He sat in front of the piano and started playing. He wasn't average, he was damn good. It had been a lot time since I heard anyone play like this, it remembered me of my mum and I started crying harder. Luckily when he finished I had recovered.

"I'm sorry" I said.

"I understand, he's your best friend".

"But I don't want him to be just a friend" I complained.

"What do you mean?".

"I like him" I admitted.

"You,... you like him?" he asked incredulous.

"I do" I said feeling better because someone else knew.

"Okay" he said looking sad. "I should go home, it's getting late".

"Okay, bye".

He left without saying good bye.