Chapter 12: Almost

Teaching Nate how to braid was impossible. He kept missing hairs behind Chloe's ears and his hands didn't hold the right strands of hair. I gave up after half an hour.

"Don't make fun of me Grace. This is freaking impossible!" Nate complained.

"I'm not making fun of you, I'm just saying that it's very easy".

"It's not".

"I give up. I'll brush Chloe's hair every morning while you prepare me breakfast" I said fed up with the whole thing.

..................................................

While I was brushing my hair before going to the weekend party that took place at the Gallagher's I thought about Nate. He was so sweet and caring about his sister and he helped and defended me at school. When I looked into his eyes it was like falling into them, they were so dark and beautiful.

"Hey, you!" I greeted him when I arrived at the party.

"Hello, beautiful" he replied with a smile. "I was trying to find Marlene, she said that she would be over there" he said pointing to a corner.

"Okay, let's go" I said holding his hand.

When Nate spotted them he stopped dead on his tracks. "Shit. They're with Adam" he said. "Wanna dance?"

"Sure" I said as he guided me through the living room to the place where people were dancing.

I'm sure my cheeks reddened as he put his hands on my waist and my smile deepened when I put mine behind his neck. Nate sighed, he looked happy too.

"How was the party before I arrived?" I asked him.

"Really slow and not interesting at all" a dimple appeared on his smile. God, how I loved that smile!

"Seriously? I.." I began but someone had shoved Nate from his back and he had stepped closer to me. His face was inches from mine. He stared into my eyes and then looked at my lips, he got closer and when I thought that he was going to kiss me he turned his head to look somewhere else. I felt rejected.

"I think Anna and Ashton are here" he said and let go from me.

Tears threatened to roll down my cheeks when Ashton patted my shoulder. I turned back and at the sight of my face Anna asked me: "Are you okay? You look pale".

"Yeah, I'm a bit dizzy. I'm going home".

"Okay, I'll call you tomorrow" she kissed my cheek and I left.

By the time I had arrived at my bedroom I was sobbing uncontrolably. I had been such a fool. How could I imagine that Nate would kiss me?