Chapter 62: This Is Me...Now

Alysa sat alone in her dimly lit living room, the only sound was the soft hum of the air conditioning and Renee Rapp on Bluetooth. It had been two months since her visit to the Laurent estate and so much had happened.

For starters, Alyssa realized within a second of meeting him that her uncle François was insane. He reminded her of Bernie Mac both in appearance and humor. His laugh was loud like hers, Eloise's, and Eric's. Her cousin Jean Louis was exactly like she expected. Prone to dramatics and attention-seeking fashion. 

They had brunch the day after she visited David's and it was a hilariously chaotic mess. The guys wanted to come but she felt it was best to be family only at that time. She was happy with her decision. Everyone was lax and comfortable. There weren't glares or brawls. Just easy-going conversation with love surrounding them. Stories were shared about her sister and mother that warmed her, but also highlighted their connection. 

Alyssa loved learning about her mother, Alicia. She smiled at the fact that their names both started with A and had the same amount of letters. Her uncle told her that was intentional and it made her heart swell. He also shared that though she was Erica's twin, both of them looked like replicas of their mother.

She found herself enraptured by her uncle's tales as everyone retired to François' home after brunch. Each word spoken from his lips was like a delicate brushstroke painting a magnificent portrait of the mother she never knew. 

Alyssa took note of her uncle's voice. It was seasoned with both immense fondness and sorrow. It was obvious he missed his twin sister. She vowed as she heard every anecdote of their childhood that she would be present for her uncle. Her heart swelled with bittersweet longing and hunger to grasp the essence of the woman who clearly lived on in stories and smiles. 

Alyssa's imagination hadn't been that busy since she was a child. She crafted images of her mother until Jean Louis gave her a picture he had of her. She sat near a river with Jean Louis in her lap and François, Eric and Erica beside her. It was the perfect picture and Jean Louis could see what it meant to her. "Keep it." He said with a smile before giving her a tight hug and walking off.

She could tell in the fading picture that her mother had a spirit unlike any other. Her smile shined brighter than the brightest diamonds. Her eyes seemed to read a person and provide words they desperately needed like a balm to any wound. 

Alyssa listened as Eric, Jean Louis and François shared tales of her mother's passions and dreams. Eric and Jean Louis made sure to highlight shared quirks that they had already seen in her. Her uncle told her tales that allowed Alyssa to take everything in. Each revelation knit her closer to a presence she felt she could almost touch.

In the stories and pictures shared, Alyssa felt she finally found solace and understanding. The void left by her mother's absence was filling by the second. The tender embrace of their shared memories became a sanctuary. She knew she'd never see her mother this side of Heaven, but Alyssa was certain that her mother's legacy lived on in her and Eric. Alicia Pierre was imprinted on her heart and that fact would never go away. 

Months had gone by where two new alters were introduced and it was an emotional rollercoaster for her, but especially the guys. Alyssa had a lot to contemplate sitting alone and listening to Coco Jones. 

Mikhail was gone for a weekend long conference, while Matvei was handling Melnik business in Dallas. They'd be back tomorrow evening, but she was over the silence and being alone. Keisha was due to pop at any moment so she was definitely a no in terms of visitors. Alyssa knew with her luck that Keisha would give birth right there in her living room.