Chapter 22: Like Stars on Earth

Alyssa stared at Matvei like he was a mad man. She was thankful she convinced him to eat in the kitchen because he was eating like a man starved. "This is the best thing I've ever eaten!" Alyssa chuckled and shook her head as she watched him devour his third helping and sixth roll.

"I doubt that. I've had your mother's pastries. They're amazing." Matvei stared at her before setting his spoon down. "I don't eat Margarita's cooking." The chill was back in his voice and Alyssa didn't want to ruin the somewhat friendly banter they mustered under the guise of the storm but she needed to know.

"Why does your mom like Mikhail more than you?" Matvei didn't even seem shocked by her question. It was what he enjoyed most about Alyssa. She went after what she wanted whether it be a person or information.

"He never broke her heart." Alyssa nodded her head and left well enough alone. "Are you going to have room for dessert?" He gave her a look earning a laugh. "Let's have dessert in the living room. I want to enjoy the fire." Matvei nodded in agreement before taking their bowls to the sink.

In no time they were in the living room on the couch enjoying peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. "So, how are things going with Dallas? Mikhail and Asher have a bromance that was bound to happen." Alyssa laughed earning one in response.

"Dallas is cool. We both are busy with construction but carve out time to talk here and there. I'm actually working on a little project for his daughter." Alyssa quirked an eyebrow. "Come on, I'll show you." He took her bowl and set it down before reaching for her hand.

"This storm has you acting all chivalrous and shit. I just might have to start praying for bad weather." Matvei sucked his teeth and pulled her up and towards his expansive garage.

"Oh wow!" Alyssa exclaimed as she took in the life-sized dollhouse. "This is amazing, Mattie." He smiled at her as she took everything in. "His little girl, Kinsley Rose, is the sweetest thing. She's got this brown skin but bright red hair like Asher. It's so cool."

Alyssa watched his face light up as he talked about the little girl. "You'd be a good dad." The words just tumbled from her lips but the shock was evident on his face before he shook his head. "I don't want kids. I hate kids. Their little drunk people that try every chance they get to kill themselves."

Alyssa laughed heartily at him. "Sure, Matthew." Matvei rolled his eyes before eyeing her seriously as she took in the details of the dollhouse. "Y-You want kids?" She turned to look at him with a sad smile. "I can't have kids."

Matvei's face fell. "Shit. I'm so sorry, Aly." She shook her head. "I've known since I was 16. I've had years to grieve and come to terms. I can't have my own, but I will have Keisha and Arseny's to spoil and love."

"You could always adopt." She smiled at him. "I wish I could but my past took that option off the table a while ago." Matvei nodded wanting to know more but understanding that he'd pried enough for one day.

"Ready to head back in?" Alyssa took his hand willingly and nodded. The inside was significantly warmer and they were both thankful. "I need to wash my clothes." Alyssa said as she followed Matvei back into the living room. "Okay, the laundry room is on the left past the kitchen."

Alyssa nodded her head and went upstairs to get her still soaked clothes. Matvei sat with his thoughts and stared into the fireplace. He had his reasons for believing that God wasn't just or fair, but to make an amazing woman like Alyssa barren just seemed cruel.

He snapped his head to the stairs as he heard Alyssa hum a tune and skip off to the laundry room. He smirked before remembering that his washer was a little wonky and she'd probably need assistance. Matvei got up and headed to the laundry room behind her.