Chapter 53: Gone Girl

Alyssa sat alone on her couch in her actual home. She looked out at the pouring rain and sighed. It had been two days since she was in Shreveport, Louisiana with Eric and she crazily found herself missing him.

Raja had nothing but good things to say about the hitman with the overbearing scar, which surprised her. Raja didn't pay attention whenever the other alters were in control unless they wanted her to.

Mikhail was the first person she had ever appeared to since the orphanage and that seemed fitting. When Eric told her that Raja had visited him, she was shocked.

Raja filled her in on her park adventures and Bluey marathon with the Haitian brute and it tickled her. She was so excited. It was obvious the little girl had made another friend and that made Alyssa happy.

On the drive back to Austin, Alyssa emerged to talk with Eric. She was finally ready to remerge and take stock of her life now that all was revealed to her.

"I don't think I can handle any more earth-shattering truths, Eric. I'm just so tired of my life being flipped upside down, you know?" Alyssa noticed the sad expression on his face and wondered why he empathized with her so much.

"I want to deal and heal from this mess and then move on with my life." Eric nodded his head slowly. "With or without the green bean casseroles?" Alyssa couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out of her. "You're an idiot." Erica chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.

"I think with...I just...we have a lot to unpack and deal with as a trio and I don't think I'm ready for that work just yet." Alyssa looked down at her fingers and sighed.

"I took medical leave from work. I'm sure folks are talking, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't focus on anything but myself right now, you know?"

"Mon cherí, you don't have to work another day in your life. I can take care of you." Alyssa leveled him with a look. "Look Eric, I appreciate whatever this is, but I don't like you in that way. I don't need a Sugar Daddy because you ain't getting no sugar."

Eric rolled his eyes at her exasperated. "You're my little sister for fuck's sake." He mumbled but she heard him. "What did you say?" Eric turned to her in search for a quick save. "I said, you're LIKE my little sister. I just want to help out."

Alyssa eyed him suspiciously but relented with a nod. "Besides, your white saviors have enough money to keep you sitting pretty as well. You don't have to work, mon cherí."

Alyssa shook her head no. "I like to work. I like what I do. My work is a part of my identity and I'd like to keep it that way. I just...I need a breather."

They drove in silence for quite some time before Alyssa broke it. "I'm glad we met, Eric." He smiled at her and nodded. "Me too, mon cherí." She chuckled to herself. "You scared the shit out of me at our initial meeting, but you're a cool kid now."

"Kid? I'm older than you by ten years, kid." Alyssa stuck out her tongue at him and laughed. "I want to be in your life, Alyssa. Long term. You're special to me and you can rely on me for whatever you need. I hope you know that."

She stared at him intently. There was just something about him that was familiar. He made her feel calm and centered. "You have to accept them." Eric's eyes widened before he glared at her. "They're not good enough for you." She rolled her eyes at him.

"They're perfect for me. Flaws and all. If you're going to be a part of my life like you say you want to be then you have to accept them. You have to accept that I love them and that I don't want them going anywhere, just like I don't want you going anywhere."