Chapter 5: Spirited Away

Alyssa was in awe. She had gone back to the dumpster fire that was her home and was further enraged. She could have actually died in that place had it not been for Mr. Allen and it further stoked her resolve that the Melnik brothers fix their mess.

She packed a large suitcase because she knew it would take over a month to make a dent in the death trap and loaded up her car with everything else she might need.

This wasn't how things were supposed to be. Moving to Austin was supposed to be a fresh start. Leaving Grand Prairie was the necessary goodbye to the Alyssa Jacobs that seemed to attract trouble wherever she went.

The move was supposed to signify a new beginning for Alyssa 2.0 that was happy, healthy and stable. Things were supposed to be looking up for her and instead she found herself looking at her home in the rearview mirror as she drove to God knew where saddened and a bit upset.

Alyssa had only been in Austin a few days and had yet to explore and navigate like she wanted. She knew how to get to work from her ramshackle home, but that proved useless now that she was moving to a whole other place.

Alyssa took deep breaths as she drove. She didn't need to get stressed out. Nothing good came when she was overwhelmed, so she rolled her shoulders and played some Michael Franks to ease her mind.

Alyssa made her way to the home she'd be staying in on Lennox and Love Joy and couldn't help the smile that graced her face. She was upset but the view did wonders to chase her sadness away.

It had a very industrial feel from the outside. Most of the homes on the street did. The neighborhood was quaint and well manicured, which raised some flags for her.

However, as she looked around and saw a Black woman with dreadlocks walking her Great Dane, she couldn't help but quickly feel comfortable and smile widely.

"There's strength in numbers." She muttered as she parked her car in the driveway and got out. "Welcome." The woman said with a smile. The horse that was her dog trotted over to Alyssa immediately.

"Hello, handsome." She petted the giant before pulling out a dog treat from her glovebox. "Can I?" The woman nodded before Alyssa gave the dog the milk bone.

"You just have milk bones in your car?" Alyssa chuckled. "I was chased by a pit bull when I was younger and was saved by a half eaten burger. From then on, I vowed to have dog treats and goodies on me at all times." The woman nodded her head in understanding. "I'm Shakira. Your new neighbor." Alyssa smiled at her. "Alyssa."

"Welcome to the neighborhood." Alyssa looked around. The houses on her street were all similar in design with a few differences, but the house across the street was bigger and definitely more industrial in design and feel.

"You must have money if you were able to buy this house. Mikhail Melnik adores showing this house to potential buyers." Alyssa shook her head. "I didn't buy it. They're fixing the dumpster fire that was sold to me. In the meantime, I live here now." Shakira nodded her head.

"You'll love it. It's got everything you need from a swimming pool balcony to an outdoor firepit living room." Alyssa's mouth hung open as Shakira chuckled. "It really is a refuge, so I know you'll enjoy it. Have fun in your new space."

Alyssa nodded her head as she waved goodbye. After parking her car in the garage and ensuring everything she had was in the foyer ready to be put up, she braved the new home and explored.

"This is just stupid." Alyssa said amazed. The house literally invented the word luxury. The décor and design were pulled from a dream. The furniture was beyond comfortable.

"Is that a fucking wine dispenser?!" Alyssa called out as she took in the bottles of Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot and Rosé. "Won't be using that." She said shaking her head as she continued to explore.