Chapter 9: Million Dollar Baby

Mikhail looked over the text Alyssa sent his brother and cackled. "Why must you antagonize him?" Alyssa shrugged her shoulders as she took her phone back and set it on the table beside them.

They were sitting on the couch together. Alyssa's legs were currently being held in Mikhail's lap as they leaned in close. It was a very sweet position that made both of them quite happy.

"I want to know everything there is to know about you, Lyssa." She gave him a soft smile. "There's not much to know, Mik. I'm just your average girl from Grand Prairie." He could tell she was holding back, but Mikhail truly wanted to know everything about the girl that he had already considered his.

"Tell me about your family." Mikhail said looking into her big, brown eyes as she shrugged. "I don't have one. I was raised in a Catholic orphanage in Grand Prairie." Mikhail tried to school his expression but she saw the look. Pity.

"I'm fine. It wasn't that bad I guess. Sure I got lonely but you can't miss what you never had, right?" Mikhail felt like shit for even asking. "I'm sorry, Lys. I didn't know." She shook her head. "You're fine, Mik. Promise. What about you? All I know is that idiotic brother of yours."

Mikhail chuckled a bit. "Yeah, it's just me and Matvei. Our mom, Margarita, owns that bakery I was telling you about. She loves it and it makes me happy that it brings her so much joy."

Alyssa smiled at that. "What about your dad?" It was her turn to school her expression. The faraway look that passed Mikhail's face for just a millisecond was enough to tell a tale of bad blood and hardship.

"My dad died when I was 9. I try not to think about it or him." Alyssa nodded her head. A moment of silence passed between them. "I have other family though. Family that I love more than anything." Alyssa smiled as Mikhail regaled her with stories of his cousins and uncles.

"I think I'm going to like this Jenna cousin of yours." Alyssa said with a smile. Mikhail nodded his head. "You're going to love her and her best friend Jade McCoy even more. I'll have to invite them over from Houston so y'all can meet."

"I'd like that." Mikhail could tell that tales of the Melnik cousins and their shenanigans had turned the mood around and he wanted to continue to ride that wave. Alyssa wasn't ready to dive deeper into her past and he'd respect that, but he wanted the conversation to continue and get to know more about her.

"Favorite ice cream?" Alyssa smiled at him before snuggling closer into him and resting her head on his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around her waist. "Sweet cream."

Mikhail nodded as he took mental notes. "Favorite color? Favorite movie? Favorite singer?" Alyssa rolled her eyes at his antics. "Black. B.A.P.S. Etta James." Mikhail smiled at her.

"I thought you'd say yellow or pink." Alyssa shook her head. "I like having a colorful wardrobe, but I do love all things black." He nodded his head. "Etta James was an incredible singer." Alyssa nodded her head in agreement.

"Her voice just takes me to another time and place. I didn't agree with her comments on thee Beyoncé, but she was one of the greats."

"What's B.A.P.S?" Alyssa looked at Mikhail like he slapped her. "What?!" She shook her head as she removed her legs and got the remote. "I'm about to educate you, white Russian." Mikhail chuckled as he realized B.A.P.S. was a movie.

"Wait! Halle Berry is in this?" Alyssa sucked her teeth as Mikhail pulled her into his lap and got settled. "This shit is hilarious!" Mikhail cackled moments later earning a laugh from Alyssa. "It's a black staple honestly." She settled back against his chest and reveled in the way his hands rubbed her bare stomach and thigh.